.30-06 box instructions

The instructions on this box read like it is black powder even though it says “smokeless”. How come?

The prompt cleaning was required to remove the nasty primer deposits, which remained a threat to successful salvage of fired cases.

IN the days when Local Armouries reloaded both Ball and Blank cases ( smokeless) these instructions were found on every Packet of US Military ammo, up to the 1920s…after 1930 or so, the Instructions were “Cartridge cases to be disposed of according to ARs” ( reloading in house was no longer done, although during WW II, Ball cases were recycled into M1909 Blanks.
(Mostly thoses collected at Factory test Ranges, etc).

The Cleaning of the Rifles after Blank use was for the Corrosive Primer residues, and the fouling left by early Blank Powder and the “paper Bullet” used in pre-WW I M1909 Blanks.
The Cleaning of all brass cases ( with Hot water and Washing soda) was to clean out all the primer and other residues from the cases These residues causing either a green “verdigris” on the inside of the case, or a dark stain on the outside, especiually around the primer.

Ideal (of later “Lyman-Ideal” name) manufactured Multi-loading "Armoury "presses for reloading both early BP cases and later 30/40 and 30/06 cases for “Gallery” loads ( they were “Plate” Loaders, usually 9 or 16 rounds (3x3 or 4x4) at a time. Occasionally there were 5x5 (25) size Loaders.

These Items are real Collectors gems of the pre WW I era…heavily built ( cast iron) and reliable.

Besides the catalogues of the times, anybody out there collect pre-WW I/II reloading tools besides the usual Tong type Lyman/Ideal/Winchester tools?

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

What is the meaning of R on the primer.

Regards

The old corrosive non-mercuric primers were not so hard on the brass cases. If kept dry they were completely usable after many years of storage.

Doc

On the Home Page there is a link to loading tool collecting. A very good article and a tremendous help in identifying the old tools. I’ve read it more than once and still learn something new each time.

Ray

The “R” on the primer stands for “Remington.” The cartridge pictured has the “RA” headstamp standing for “Remington Arms.”

John Moss

I have a note that indicates that the “R” on the primer signified “Revised” as Remington changed the primer charge in 1917 and used the “R” to denote the new primer for the rest of that year. However, I cannot find my original source for that information.

If Chris has that information, than I am surely wrong about it meaning Remington. I guess that meaning was too obvious - I should have been suspicious that it might mean something else, since you do not see that primer marking across the whole range of Remington Ammunition of that general period.

Sorry about that. Thanks for the correct Chris.

John Moss