.30-06, British Proof round?

Can anybody offer any views on this unusual British .30-06 round pictured alongside a tracer round. I found a large quantity of these in an army ordanance disposal depot and I can only guess that they are proof rounds with the bullet unseated slightly to accomodate an additional powder charge. The bullet has the additional cannelure on it which would usually identify a tracer bullet but I’ve not pulled the bullet to confirm that this is tracer. It has a military headstamp of ‘K 66 30’.
Jim

Given the lack of a proper casemouth crimp, I would suggest that someone has reseated the bullet improperly. British .30-06 proof were either copper washed or had colored stripes across the base depending on their intended end use. In addition, the powder capacity of the .30-06 was such that it would not normally be necessary to seat the bullet “out” for a proof load. I agree that the bullet appears to be a tracer though pulling it would be the only way to be sure. Having said all this, Kynoch used cases headstamped in the late 50s and 60s for a whole bunch of experiments including a lot for dark ignition tracers, though none of them to my knowledge seated the bullet “out”.
The casemouth crimp, such that it is on this specimen, looks decidely suspicious.

Chris,
I understand your reservations in view of the lack of casemouth crimp - all I can say is there were dozens if not hundreds of these rounds and all were identical.
Jim

BTT

Hi Teak,
I appreciate your reply but do not understand the meaning of ‘BTT’! I’ve noticed this response several times in your replies and I’m now wondering whether you are in fact aware of this! Is this is an intentional posting or does it read differently at your end perhaps? You’ve posted the same ‘BTT’ response to a question I raised on 7.62x51mm plastic blanks and it’s very frustrating to think that you may have posted the information that I’ve been eagerly waiting for but over here on my side of the water it reads as a simple and unhelpful ‘BTT’. Help!
Jim

Jim, “BTT” simply means “Back To Top”, and is used to get an old question that never got an answer to the top of the pile again.

Maybe a special lot made for a specific purpose or test such as accuracy trials in barrels with worn leeds or somesuch. When the trial was over the rounds were of little use which is why they ended up in the disposal depot

Just supposition and guesswork.

Regards
TonyE