30/06 by OJP

The only info about the maker of this round I have is:
Oesterreichische Jagdpatronenfabrik Gmbh,Kremsach,Tirolo (Austria).
However in other rounds made by this factory I’ve seen,the letters “OJP” are put in a different position,so I am not sure about my identification.
There are leftovers of a writing on the body so I think this is the mark of the gunshop or so that imported this cartridge.
I would like to know:
1-is it really an Oesterr. Jagdp. Gmbh made case?
2-What’s the meaning of the 4 points on the left of the base?
3-is it a military or a civilian case?

Thanks to all
Pivi

Taken from the Book “.30-06”:

Early production has the OJP code and either 57 or 58, plus 0 to 4 dots. The dots are thought to indicate the production trimester.

Thanks,
I think it is a military case
Pivi

This is a military standard case. The dots indicate the trimester of the production year - in this case 1958. The earliest ones didn’t have a year code on them but are believed to be 1957. In 1959 they changed from using the dots to “roman” numerals (I, II, III, IV). The markings on the side of the case don’t look “factory” as OJP used the metric designation for this caliber.

The marking on the side of the case is something required by laws in Europe (Germany only, European Community, or other countries???), that require that all surplus ammunition sold have the caliber marked on each cartridge. since most military ammunition does not include a caliber marking, the stamp is applied. While you cannot see what it is, the mark behind the caliber is usually an insignia of some sort that I believe identifies the distributor that marked the ammunition, although I could be worng about that. It usually appears sort of like a proof mark of some type. I have dozens of specimens of ammunition throughout my collection with these caliber marks on the side, and save them like any other variation.

These markings are not put on by the manufacturer of the ammunition - Chris is quite right in that regard - unless it is the manufacturer that is selling the ammunition as surplus, which is not the norm. What a job it must be to stamp each cartridge, even if machine done!