30.06 cartridge id assistance

I have a question regarding the cartridge on the left. I reviewed the glossary on the website but was unable to identify a cartridge that has an entirely silver colored bullet. Not just the tip, but the entire bullet. It is non-magnetic and the headstamp is FA 40. The other one is headstamped FA Match 09, also non magnetic, and I am not certain what that one is either.

Is there an element of The Lone Ranger here, as in silver bullet?

herky

Left is a Cal 30 M2. The bullet is tinned to ID it from the M1 during the period of transition.

Right is a handload. That’s a Rem Bronze Point bullet. Check that headstamp a little closer.

Ray

The headstamp on the bronze could in fact read FA 60 Match as opposed to FA 09 Match.

Ray or any one else of superior intelligence. Attached is a foto of the headstamp referred to earlier. I am unable to tell if this Match is 09 or 60. I know the cartridge itself has not been disturbed or seen the light of day since 1941 so I can’t see how it would be a 60. Thanks

Herky–It is in fact 1960 Match ammunition. First of all, the headstamp used by FA in 1909 would have been F A 12 09, where 12 is the month. Plus, all FA headstamps until 1930 used serifed letters. The first year that FA used only the year and not the month and year was 1918. The headstamp like your was used from 1957-1961. After that Lake City took over making the Match ammunition with the headstamp L C 6 2 MATCH.

Sorry - the cartridge did not see the light of day before 1960, because that’s when the case was made. There was no such headstamp in use by Franford Arsneal in 1909, and the headstamp clearly reads “FA 60” anyway.

The primer seal does not appear to be original to an Frankford Arsenal loading, to me, but then I don’t collect this caliber. Generally, U.S. military cartridges do not have the entire primer covered with the sealant. Mistakes happen, but even the color does not look like theirs. I am sure this is either a reload, or a loading of a new cartridge case by someone other than the U.S. Government and the Franford Arsenal factory.

That’s gotta be nail polish, …which is often used as a primer sealant by handloaders. There are also purpose made primer sealants on the market, but from what I am told, they are pretty much the same thing as nail polish.

I purchased some match 30-06 casings for handloading several years back that came from demilled ammo . Mine were all 70s dated as I recall.

-Allen

Thanks to all. That’s what I needed to know. Now it can go down the basement to be “discovered” by someone fifty years from now who will wonder it that is an 1860 headstamp or a 1960.

Herky

It’s always a letdown when you learn that rare cartridge you found is actually quite common, a reload, or even a fake. We’ve all gone thru this, more than once.

Unforunately, that 06 is a very common FA 60 MATCH case that has been handloaded with a Remington Bronze Point bullet. Your FA 40 cartridge, on the other hand, is not common and is collectible. You haven’t won the lottery but it belongs in any 30-06 collection.

Ray