FA/1/08 cannelured bullet
FA/22-R 6 degree BT bullet
FA/NM24 9 degree BT bullet
FA/NM29 "3 Star Hennessey"
FA/NM36
58 Match T291 Match
Long neck duplex WRA/5?
FA/18 1917 tracer with blackened case
FA/51 Tracer with red tip, Zinc primer. Does anyone know if this is a real load? Or a dingbat or fake?
Thanks Kevin

Hi Kevin,

nice job !!
The FA 51 should be OK.
FA did experiment a lot with zink coated primers in the late’s 40’s early 's 50’s

Cheers
René

Kevin - Great work, as usual. Numbers 3 thru 7 are Match cartridges, as I’m sure you already know. Number 2 is also found with a smooth bullet. And, it appears the bullet is seated deeper in the case than standard.

Ray

As always, great work
Jack

Kevin,

Another splendid group of cutaways! Seeing the powder in the NM29* example makes me curious as to what type it might be. The very short grain size is something like the old IMR 1204 perhaps. Was there a short grained slower burning powder used here?

Dave

Dave

The powder used in the 1929 Match ammunition was IMR 1186. I like to look at the guts of every cartridge that I can because I often find some very interesting things in there. Much more interesting than the outside which are all pretty much the same.

And, powder is one of the ways to spot a fake. The fakers usually do not know which powder is correct, nor do they usually care. I hope there are no fakers out there reading this.;-)

Ray

Thanks for the kind comments.
These are one half of a collection that was cut, there is another sample cut for everyone you see. The bullets are seated to where they were originally and look the same as the other sectioned, along with the different powders. Didn’t want to change them. Its the differences that keeps me cutting. Always hope for the real thing, but sometimes you never know. That’s why I ask here.
I’m working on your “US National Match” list that you posted back in Feb, Ray. Got half of them cut! Keep up the great posts.
Glad to hear it looks legit, Rene. Your name came up a couple of times while discussing and wanted your opinion, thanks.
Kevin

Ray,

Thank you for that information. And I thank all of the Forum contributors who share their findings when they “have a look inside”!

Dave

[quote=“RayMeketa”]Dave

The powder used in the 1929 Match ammunition was IMR 1186. I like to look at the guts of every cartridge that I can because I often find some very interesting things in there. Much more interesting than the outside which are all pretty much the same.

And, powder is one of the ways to spot a fake. The fakers usually do not know which powder is correct, nor do they usually care. I hope there are no fakers out there reading this.;-)

Ray[/quote]

Ray, I’m a bit slow, but is this the correct powder (IMR1186) for the 1929 Match? I don’t know what it looks like. Not being a reloader so don’t know much on powder, but have gathered a small collection of different powders and someday may be able to find some one to diagnose the different kinds. Just checking to make sure I’m not putting misinformation out on the web. Thanks kevin

Kevin

Yes, 1186 is correct. You may not find it listed because it is basically a short cut 1185. In the vernacular of powder manufacturers, 1185 is 11 to the inch, 1186 is 22 to the inch. In your lineup, NM 36 is loaded with 1185. The next (T291) is loaded with IMR 4895, which is the powder that replaced 1185, 4676, R.O.W. and most other powders used by Frankford.

I’m not at home so don’t have access to my notes, but I have identified the powder in all of your sectioned cartridges. If interested, I can post all of them when I get back home (Monday).

Ray

For anyone still interested, the powder in the lineup of cartridges is as follows:

1. Dupont Smokeless #2
  2. Pyro DG
  3. Hi Vel #2
  4. Hi Vel #2
  5. IMR 1186
  6. IMR 1185
  7. IMR 4895
  8. WC 852
  9. Pyro DG
    10.IMR 4320

Ray