30-06 Die Cast Dummy?

The die cast construction is a bit of a guess because it closely resembles the Australian 303 Die Cast ( pot metal)Dummy, this round is one piece, hollow ,with 2 long deep flutes, it is made in 2 parts melded together ,with a seam on both sides of the round ,it is Grey in colour and quite heavy, the base is in the same material ,unlike the 303 Dummy which has a steel base , I have been unable to find any info on this round, Who made it, when and who used it , it does not look like that it would last to long as a functioning dummy ,there are no marks of any type at all on the round I would appreciate any info, thanks randy

Randy,
I suspect this might be the round you’re referring to.

I have two variants - the round on the left has the two deep flutes you refer to, the second round is identical but without the flutes.
I expect to be corrected but I believe these to be British .30 Mk 4 Drill rounds of WW2 manufacture for our Home Guard units.
Jim

The exact nomenclature of these die cast rounds is unclear. Jim is correct that they seem to be an early WW2 expedient drill round, possibly for the Home Guard, but they are not Drill Mark IV rounds. The Drill Mark.IV consisted of a fired US made case with a one-piece wooden distance piece and bullet, the bullet portion being covered with a CN envelope.

The die cast drill round was one of a series consisting of 9mm, .45 ACP and 30-06, all calibres used by the Home Guard. They were made by a toy manufacturer called Lines Brothers, famous for the Tri-ang brand of toys and model trains.

Lines Bros. factory was in Morden Road, London, SW19, less than a mile from where I am typing this.

Lines ceased trading in the 1970s andd the site of the factory is now a trading estate.

Regards
TonyE

30-06 Drill help needed

Thanks for the info Tony - every little bit helps!

I should also have added that Lines Bros. developed and manufactured the Mark III Sten, stamping the receiver from flat sheet steel then rolling and welding it. They made 876,794 Mark III Stens, pumping out 500 per eight hour shift, before production was cancelled and they reverted to making the Mark II gun.

I believe they also made parts for the 20mm Polsten also, as their speciality was sheet steel working.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks Tony, I always wondered who made them.

There appear to be four basic variations in 30-06 (don’t know about the other calibers).
(1). 2 Flutes, hole in base reaching almost to the bullet tip.
(2). Completely smooth, hole in base reaching almost to the bullet tip.
(3). Completely smooth, no hole.
(4). Fluted body inserted into the head of a U.S. fired case (headstamp F A 30 seen). On the latter the flutes were painted red but don’t know if the paint was an “after market” addition.

Chris P.

Thanks for all the excellant info guys randy