30-06 dummy headstamps

I have a couple of questions on the headstamps of these two 30-06 dummys.
[/img][img]

[/img][b]By the date on this one it must have started out as a 30-03 case, is this correct?
[img]

[/img][b]Is this R . A headstamp Remington or from Norway?
[img]

Thanks; Jack[/img]

I happen to have THE BOOK open, right in front of me. I am going to step out on a limb and say the second one, the R . A, is Remington Arms.

I agree the 1st is from an -03 case.

Someone, far more knowledgeable than I, will step in and confirm or correct, I am sure.

Does the 1904 dated one have an un-struck inert primer cap? If so, its amazing it survived 105 years without someone dropping a firing pin on it.

the second one is a typical “Remington Arms for the UK” style dummy.
here is the box. enjoy.

cheers
Ren

The “R.A 40” with the head recess ring is AN-M2 Casing, for use in Aurcraft BMGs (for US use).

The British contract .30/06 were marked “RA .300z 1940” (.300z signifies .30 cal, Nitrocellulose load, and Four Digit Date signifies RAF Air Quality Primers.) These features are in keeping with British cartridge marking conventions for Aircraft ammo

For Dummies, Remington would have used whatever cases were on hand, and the US-designator Headstamp (“R.A 40” would have sufficed.)

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

These green painted dummies have always puzzled me. The design, empty primer pocket, plated case, 3 flutes in case is standard for UK dummies (drill rounds) but the green paint is not. Uk drill rounds usually have red paint or no paint so this colour is perhaps unique to this round. The labelling showing the calibre as “.300” is typical UK practice for the era, this is the first such carton I have seen. Very nice.

Any ideas anyone?

gravelbelly

See
iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.ph … ght=#27715
for more pics

Here’s my two 30-06 green fluted dummys.

Note the [DOT] in the 1st h/s

Steve

Here is the box for the Tracer rounds for the RAF. The box for Ball is more or
less the same, Instead of Tracer it says Ball on the top. Enjoy.
cheers
Ren

They’re not all dated 1940 either, is this unusual?

happy collecting, Peter

Not strange at all, seeing as the “dummies” were made with cases surplus or not up to quality standards for Loading as Ball. So a US type AN-M2 case was made into a British Contract Dummy (Green Filled Flutes).

BTW, the Green was probably to distinguish the .30 cal case from the BESA 7,92mm Drill, which was Red-filled flutes; the two cases/cartridges are commonly confused, even with Ball, with disastrous results; even though the .30 was almost only used by RAF until the formation of the Home Guard in mid- 1940, and the HG supplied with US .30 calibre weapons (M1917, etc), and the 7,92mm Calibre was restricted to the Tank Corps/Armoured Corps.

The LoC (List of Changes) should have some indications as to the design of the Drill (“Dummy” )Round for the RAF.

An interesting area of British Ammo use of the Early Wartime years.

Regards,
DocAV
AV Ballistics.

It is an interesting hypothesis Doc, but I do not believe it to be true, even though I can offer no alternative explanation for the green flutes.

Normally all British drill rounds had red flutes, irrespective of calibre.

Britain did not start ordering American equipment until after Dunkirk, and the first orders for .30-06 were in mid 1940, just after the Home Guard had been formed as the Local Defence Volunteers. The first lots of ball purchased from the US Government were 1929/30 dated and the first British drill rounds were made from fired cases from this ammunition. These had holes drilled in the cases with ball or AP bullets fitted. The Mark II version had a red wood bullet in the normal pattern of British expedient drill rounds.

There seems to be no record of the Remington green fluted drill rounds and they are not shown in the LoCs. It is only the style and description on the packet labels that infers they are British contract rounds. No mark number was allocated to these rounds.

For the moment they must remain a mystery. There are other types of 30-06 dril that saw service but which were never formally introduced by LoCs. One is the Drill D.1942 Canadian Pattern which is found with commercial Dominion headstamps and both plain and fluted chromed cases, and another is the type with a red plastic bullet and plain cases.

Regards
TonyE