.30-06 Experimental....?

My understanding is that Frankford Arsenal used a headstamp with the letter F missing if it was an Experimental case. If that is correct well great. In that case I have what I think is an experimental steel case either for testing anti rust or just to use up cases to make into dummys.

Dummies were often made from reject cases. But, am I missing something? I seem to see the letter “F” on the head, right next to the letter “A”, although partially obscured by corrosion. Did you examine this headstamp with a good-quality magnifying glass. For things like this, I use a 10X Jeweler’s loop. However, it is always hard to try to read with a glass off a picture on the computer screen.

John Moss

1 Like

clicked on the image and blew it up. No “F”.

John… I have look again and again, in-fact I think I have looked at that longer that I have looked at the misses today! Cant see an F …paul.

O…k. I had just got home from a 500 mile trip when I looked at that. I must be hallucinating. Not unusual for an old f–t like me. Thinking of it, has I been correct, the factory designater would be “FA” and not the usual “F A” spacing that headstamps like this usually have.
That made me wrong even on the face of it. Not thinking straight the last week or so.

John

How about brushing the head stamp with a toothbrush?

After cropping the headstamp and changing some image properties it appears to me that there is no “F”.

John, don’t feel bad. I move from one room to another and have the same hallucination.
But seriously, a bit of BRONZE wool will remove all the doubt.

1 Like

Hi sksvlad… there is no doubt really there is no F…paul

1 Like

A broken bunter perhaps…?

1 Like

I now agree with “timeout.” The “F” is absence from the headstamp. I also thank EOD for the enhanced photos. You can clearly see from the orientation of the A in relation to the date that what I thought was a “F” right next to the “A” is clearly nothing more than a product of the corrosion.

Thanks for setting me straight guys, and I mean that. It is not a bad thing when errors in interpretation are cordially set right. It is how we all learn.

John