.30-06 "fa 25r"

Chris’ book said that FA experimented with non-corrosive Berdan priming and the 1st headstamp was “FA 26R”. So, what is this “FA25R”?

Vlad,

pls have another carefull read.
You are mixing up FA 25R with FA 26 SPL and FA 26 B11

Maybe you can show a picture of the bullet as well, but your cartridge is most likely a:
1925 National - , Palma - or International match cartridge.
The same headstamp was also used for the 1926 Int & Palma matches.
There were no National matches in 1926.
Also lots of NUPE cases with FA 25R were available for shooters so you might
come across some “handloads” as well.
I have never seen a FA 26 R ( but that doesn’t mean anything, of course)

cheers
René

Another collector wrote the following to me:
Vlad

FA 25 R means the case has a “Rifle” anneal. That meant that cases had a harder case head and rim than the standard ammunition. Machine guns tended to pull the case head off and so the standard cases were made with a softer anneal.

The R is usually associated with Match ammunition.

What is NUPE?

A “NUPE” is a New UnPrimed Empty" cartridge case. “UPE” = UnPrimed Empty, fired, with spent primer removed (If it hadn’t been fired it would be New). “NPE” = New Primed Empty. “NOPE” is what my wife said last night.

here is a full box of NPE’s
Headstamp FA 25 R

Mel,
regarding NOPE, try another primer . . . . .

Unfortunately, mine came in this box, also about half are other WWI headstamps. I guess I got NPE, better than Mel’s choice.

Thanks, FlyingDutchman, I was literally on a wrong page (of the book). I found this paper cup inside the neck of “FA 10 10”. I assume it is the original wad.

Hi Vlad,

your picture shows an early M1909 blank.
The wad has come out but you can still see the neck crimp.
Are there any labels / printings on your box ?
It seems to be a box for 40 shells which I have not seen before.
Not sure if this is an original box.

Any chance to PM me the various headstamps that are included ?

Thanks
René

Here are all the headstamps inside this box. The box itself has nothing on it, not a word. Looks like it was designed to hold about 40 rounds, if it’s ammo box at all.

Vlad
check out the bullet in the FA 18, could be an experimental.

Pete,

I think the box only contains (primed) cases and no cartridges

rgds
René

René is right, no projectiles here but… I fished this out of unrelated bag. It is probably a reload. May someone offer a very very concise primer on .30-06 experimental projectiles. How to tell an experimental from an old reload? They look so similar. Chris’ book is good but I have problems visualizing some descriptions.

To my opinion, that is a gallery load. Most of those are reloads.
Maybe this is a Winchester Primer, but I am sure there are others who know that better

rgds
René