.30-06 "FA 33" M1921 Range Dummy

Is this a dummy? The cut is very even and professionally done.

With the displacement of brass into the extractor groove and the burr on either side, I would suspect that this has been done when chambering the round or possibly during manufacture. It looks to me to be the result of the case being forced against something which has imparted (ploughed) the groove.

1 Like

I forgot to say that the cut was made only on one side. I don’t think it is made by forcing, no additional scratches or creases.

This is the typical M1921 Range Dummy - designed to be slipped into the magazine without the shooter knowing so as to detect flinching.
Chris P.

3 Likes

Thank for clearing this up Chris.

Interesting - I thought they would have removed the bur during manufacturer. I forgot to ask Vlad if it has a primer in it?

1 Like

The cut appears like it was made with a slitting saw, which is a small, arbor-mounted circular saw used for metal cutting. Often used for making slots with a milling machine or dedicated production fixture if the quantity is very large.

1 Like

Am at work. Shall deliver the headstamp when at home.

What other years were the M1921 Range Dummy with the slit made? Tom from MN

scan0186

FA 21, 21-R, 31. (dot), 36, 31, 30 & probably others

I would expect to see a clean, square start to the cut if a slitting saw was used.

Is the base of the groove parallel to the central axis of the case? Looking at this close up makes a slitting saw possible but the case would have to have been held off kilter to get a cut starting like that.

Thanks Pete!

I assumed because the groove does not cut into the rim and shows what looks like saw marks running parallel to the cut that it must be from a small circular saw blade. As you said, perhaps it was cut somewhat off center.

I examined the cut under high magnification. It is parallel to the central axis as far as I can see. The cut was made in one sweep, there are 4 little grooves at the bottom of the cut, they are very nice and continuous. the cut was done so it produced a trampoline effect, so it goes progressively deeper towards the rim and then lifts up right before the rim.

Any of these range dummies I’ve had have had a dummy nickel primer

1 Like

The other thing that concerns me is the radius. A blade would need to be very large in diameter and would undoubtedly cut through the head. I’m wondering if it was produced with a broach.

1 Like

Hi Tony
The primers were not nickel plated but tinned GM. If they were nickel then they were re-capped much later in life

1 Like

What other years were the M1921 Range Dummy with the slit made?

I have them starting 1918 up to 1937
René

1 Like