30-06, For Aircraft Use Only--Images Added

Maybe someone will find this interesting. WWI era 3006 that is specifically marked “FOR AIRCRAFT USE ONLY”.

I could not figure out how to include images, so here are the links.
[deleted original links Sept 19. New link added below.]

Marc

Figured out my image posting problem.

Marc

I have deleted the original links and now added a link to the Gunboards posting. The original links were just to the images, but that was not working out for a lot of folks. Hopefully this mess is now straightened out.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=2845

Marc

See my post on Gunboards Cartridge and Ordnance collectors section

Doc AV

Marc

I could not open the links without being a registered user. is it just me??

Ray

It’s not just you Ray. That’s one of those forums where you have to regester / ask permission just to read a thread.

I figured out my image posting problem. The images are now added to my first posting.

Marc

Still could not open the links.

P.S. In the meantime here is a photo of another box of 30 caliber tracers for aircraft use only (upper right corner). Refer to Hackley, et al, pages 111 to 112.

These rounds had special heavy ring crimps to prevent the primer from blowing out in aircraft machine guns. Most of the USCCo contract ammunition had the cases made using the Hooker extrusion process which used fewer production steps but was more expensive. The ammunition that was produced using the Hooker extrusion process was headstamped with a double star as in the photo above.

Best,

Heavyiron