30-06 HS query

Is the character at 9 o’clock a S or a 5?

If it is a S can someone tell me the manufacturer please? If it is a 5 does this mean that it was made in 1955 by Twin Cities Ordnance Plant? I’ve seen other US military 30-06 where 1944 was indicated by a single 4 but 41, 42, 43 and 45 were dual numbers.

If none of the above - I clearly need more help than I thought…

it is a 5

cheers
René

1945, I think

Vlad, 1955.

Though the “5” looks kinda “sixish”, likely an altered “6” bunter or?

1 Like

no, to save strategic materials, it was decided in 1944 that ammunition plants could re-use 1943 bunters by removing the 3 and leaving 4 for the year 1944. The same was done in 1955.
However you will find headstamps where the 4 is centrally placed, thus not a re-used 1943 bunter but a new bunter with just a single 4 in the middle.

1 Like

An interesting variation to the regulation requiring the removal of the second digit of the date to make a “43” bunter into a “4” to represent 1944, and the same with “54” bunters ground off to simply “5” to represent 1955, that in my opinion, shows a rather silly adherence to a regulation. I have two Evansville Chrysler .45 M1911 steel-case cartridges (two different case finishes) both of which had “44” in the headstamps. One is still 90% untouched, but with an obviously, and failed, attempt to remove the second “4.” The other is the same, but with a little more successful attempt at removal, although the second “4” is still quite visible. An instance of following a regulation with no purpose, since the “44” bunters had already been made, and since this was no “secret code,” but simply an economy measure. In this case, the “economy measure” was a useless waste of time. Interesting for collectors, though. :-)

Is there a similar instance with .30-06, .30 Carbine, etc.???

John Moss

Thank you all for the information. I was aware of the single digit for the year but didn’t know the reason behind it.

So, my assumption that this is dated 1955 is correct?