30-06 Illustration round

Hi,

I was wondering if Chris Punnett or someone would be able to help me ID this round. I met Chris at an Ohio Cartridge Collectors Show and he was nice enough to autograph his fine book which I really like a lot.

This round is OD hollow plastic. It measures approximately 7 inches long. It has no headstamps or markings. I was told it was an oversized round used for demonstration purposes along with an M1 Garand. I would like to know more about it-like who made it and what time period it was made.

Thanks,
joeinco1

Hi - I don’t know spit about .30-06, especially compared to Chris Punnett, whose knowledge on anything and everything is tough to beat. But, having served in the Army and trained on oversized, cut-away models of the BAR, .30 Carbine, M1 Garand .30 Rifle and the M1919A4 and M1919A6 machine guns, I can tell you with certainty that your oversized .30 Model of 1906 cartridge was for demonstrations (to use your perfectly valid word) in the classroom of the inner workings of the various infantry small arms in use at the time.

These double-sized models allowed a moderate class of 30 to forty soldiers to see how their various weapons operated. The plastic cartridges used came in OD like yours, and then also in yellow and black, and perhaps red, in plastic cartridges a little better proportioned to the original shapes than were the OD ones. There was a .30 Carbine caliber version also, which I have only seen in OD but perhaps was made in other calibers as well.

The .30 Model of 1906 versions came loose for packing in the oversized BAR magazine, insertion in oversized cloth belts of the same pattern as the normal whitye cloth belts used, along with steel-link belts as well (but no double-size one of which I am aware), in the actual Browning machine guns. There was also a rather simplified and cheaply made sheet metal (not blued, at least not the ones I saw) 8-shot clip for the M1 Garand instructional model.

Not much else I can say. I used to own one of the Browning .30 MG models, but gave it to a friend who had more room in his gun shop to display it than I did in my den.

I hope this offers you some insight into the use of these interesting “demon-
stration cartriges.”

Hi John, Thanks For Your Most Informative Reply. I always read all of your replies and always appreciate all that you have to say. joe

Bill Ricca has an excellent page devoted to these “Double Size Trainers” which you might be interested in.
http://www.billricca.com/trainers_2x.htm

As described in Bill Ricca’s website, there were four basic training aid working models, and I can add that there were at least three manufacturers.

The Dellenbarger Machine Company, Inc. manufactured the M21 (M1 Carbine) and M24 (M1 Rifle), and it was also known for making mortar trainers using subcaliber projectiles and .22 blanks, like the 3-F-8A.

The Reflectone Corporation made the M22 (M1919A6). This company also made some of those nice ammunition training displays used by the Navy, like the Mk 1 and 2 Mod 0.

The J. H. Keeney & Company, Inc. made the M23 (M1918A2).

Regarding yellow color cartridges, I have seen M22 machine gun belts full of these and also M24 rifle clips. These were not for the DVC 23-03 .50 cal. M2 machine gun motorized working model which used standard caliber dummies and links.

Here are some pictures of a clip & cartridges I have in my collection

and to put things into perspective

BTW for the clip collectors: the clip is without any markings

cheers
René

Interesting. The mockup M1 Garand clip is actually more detailed than I remembered it being. Thanks for the photos.