.30-06 "Longest Day" blank

I got one of the gold pastic .30-06 blanks made for filming The Longest Day. Were they made by SFM?

Falcon- They were made under the company name “Gevelot,” who I guess is (was) the parent company to SFM. Same address. You can see the box label for your blank if you look at the thread “9mm Para Blank ID” just down the page about 3/4 of the way on the Forum’s opening page. They just covered these blanks.

John Moss

The rounds (in belt) sit on the shelf above the box)

Pepper

Very nice pepper… cool (great movie as well) :D

Just a stupid comment … why bothering to have a special bronze-colored plastic blanks for a film recorded in Black & White ?

No doubt these bronze-colored are for the movie industry, but what are the evidence to connect these especially with the “Longest Day” ?

Cheers,

JFL

I do not know of any proof that these were made for the movie “The Longest Day”, but I do know 2 of the biggest names of old (1960-70’s) in .30-06 collecting, Gerry Marcello and Pete Bigler both sold these as such.

There is one other round supposedly specially made for that movie. It is bright red plastic 20mm Oerlikon made by Bakelittfabrikken of Norway. I have one and it is shown in “Cartridges for Collectors”, Vol. III, Page 172 by Fred Datig.

[quote=“JFL”]Just a stupid comment … why bothering to have a special bronze-colored plastic blanks for a film recorded in Black & White ?

No doubt these bronze-colored are for the movie industry, but what are the evidence to connect these especially with the “Longest Day” ?

Cheers,

JFL[/quote]
Because: here is real ammo, blue, red, black and bronze plastic blank in BW format.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Two of my earliest rounds in my collection (as a teenager) were the brother & sister…Longest Day…9 mm & 30-06…and later the 20 mm (years later…@ IAA show)

I have heard them ID’d as Longest Day movie rounds a 100 times (and never attributed to anything else)…this is the first time I have ever heard that disputed

There has to be a way to put that to rest…Dr AV chime in ???

Pepper

At the size and frequency you see these plastic blanks on screen, including in the movie “The Longest Day,” any color but black would have worked just fine according to that picture. The bronze is the closest, for sure, but again, for what the folks watching the movie see, it is a pretty unimportant feature. I suppose though, that for a big contract, they can make these blanks any color without incurrening addition manufacturing cosrs of any consequence, so probably the best question, even though I asked it on the first thread about there, is probably not “Why,” but rather, Why not?"

John Moss

Here is a picture of my 20mm Longest Day movie blank. I never did find the 9mm one. Were there 7.92x57 blanks also made for the movie?

There are 7.9 x 57 mm plastic blanks of the same basic construction from Germany, Norway, etc., but none I have ever heard of from Gevelot or any other French company, in this caliber.

There is bronze-color one as well, but it can’t have been for the movie. One specimen at hand is headstamped “RWS 8 x 57 JS” but the clincher is the other specimen, identical in all respects except headstamp, which is military-style reading “DAG 92.” Both blanks are obviously contemporary to each other, and 1992 is way too loate for the movie, isn’t it? I mean decaides, not years.

John Moss

So… I have another query about the movie… I had a guy at a gunshow tell me that he had some items that were used in the movie “The Longest Day”. He told me that a guy he knew (I know) had some blanks in boxes that were marked for the movie. He had for sale a green .30 carbine double sized round that was also in a box marked for the movie (he didnt have the box). It was a green plastic x2 size .30 carbine round that was used for training in the double sized cutaways. He stated that the round was used in the movie for the camera to judge size…

For the life of me I have no idea why they would want to do that… anyone have any ideas?

Whilst they are BakelittenFabrik Patent Blanks, they were made by SFM under their “Civilian Outlet” Gevelot SA…SFM was originally founded by
Gevelot et Gaupillat, makers of ammo since the 1850s.
There is a long history of Factory Movie Blank manufacture in France, going back to before WW II ( Gun laws, even for Movie makers, were and are still quite strict and convoluted in France )

Whilst Military Blank products are usually Black, Red or White, to distinguish from Ball, the Movie industry, going more and more into colour, had to have a “brassy” (Gold) Coloured Blank…so SFM (GG) supplied the Gold coloured blank ( "Bronzee’ " in French).

The Reputation of the Film “The Longest Day” even though in B&W, cemented the “Gold Plastic” as a Movie Blank in the minds of collectors.

Since the film was done in Corsica (France) it is natural that they would have sourced besides Crew and equipment, also the rifles etc and Blanks from French suppliers.

Datig mentions both .50 cal and 20mm (Hispano/Oerlikon??) as being Gold coloured for TLD use. And his book was published soon after the Film came out, so his “provenance” has a degree of certainty…as well he was based in Switzerland.

RWS (RUAG) still makes a Bronzed 7,9mm Blank these days, for European re-enactors.

Nice one of the packets etc.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

There were a lot of war movies being made at that time but as the Longest Day was shot extensively in France that might be the tie in with Gevelot blanks. A lot of movies had the “French” scenes shot in the English countryside which looks the same. Even movies like Full Metal Jacket had some of the so called Vietnam scenes shot in England. The disused factory scenes for example.

For quite awhile, both TV and Big Screen shooting locations often have been chosen based more upon production cost economics (especially union labor rates and various local incentives) than geographic authenticity.

Speaking of John Wayne movies, sometimes locations chosen are surprising. The 2004 Ron Howard remake of the original 1960 John Wayne production of “The Alamo” was done on a completely new set built on a ranch near Austin TX, the area of which is in appearance nothing like the original Alamo in San Antonio - when in fact the original Alamo movie set near Brackettville TX (where I spend much of my time), still existed, then and now, was available, and was located in terrain which much more closely resembled that surrounding the original historic Alamo. For some reason, possibly remoteness of the original set, Ron Howard, Disney execs, or somebody wanted it shot near Austin, even though it would likely have been far less expensive to do it on John Wayne’s set. Anyway, the remake was deservedly a bomb, but not specifically because of the location chosen.

It wasn’t that long ago (mid-late 90s) that non-firing movie prop flintlocks used in the making of the John Wayne version commonly appeared at San Antonio gun shows at reasonable prices. I wish I’d bought one at the time.

[quote]Full Metal Jacket had some of the so called Vietnam scenes shot in England. The disused factory scenes for example.[/quote]Beckton gas works IIRC.
Soren

[quote=“mausernut”][quote]Full Metal Jacket had some of the so called Vietnam scenes shot in England. The disused factory scenes for example.[/quote]Beckton gas works IIRC.
Soren[/quote]
Becton gas works was an old fashioned coal fired power station in the banks of the Thames downriver from London. Its classic “industrial dingy” style made it a favourite location for many films including John Wayne films and Bond movies.
Pulling this back onto a cartridge theme, the location dictates which company handles the firearms and effects. just an aside before I get pulled up for going too far off topic. Have you not noticed how many film/TV scenes involve disused industrial buildings. Thats because they are cheap.

Does anyone have the boxes or individual blank rounds for the .30 M-1 Carbine or .45 ACP made for the movie? I have only heard of the 9mm, .30-06 and 20mm ones.