30.06 Military, Experimental, and Tracers Cutaway

30.06 Military, Experimental, and Tracers, from left to right:

WRA/57 Short Neck Duplex (had a red tip but wore off, Triplex?)
WRA/55 Long Neck Duplex
FA/29 Tracer Blackened, short internal cup
FA/32 Tracer T1E14 (early M1)
FA/45 Frangible T74, Tan over green tip
TW/57 ball steel case
LC/HP/54 Military High Pressure Proof
FA/45 Armor Piercing Incendiary T15
Kevin

Hu Kevin,

another nice set.
the red tip on the duplex might have been a kind of wax for target marking.
So one can distinguish where the first and second bullet hit the target

Cheers
René

Kevin - Thanks again. My photo file of sectioned cartridges is filling up. I may have to start a new one.

The jury is still out regarding the meaning of the colored tips on the duplex and triplex cartridges, both short and long neck. It’s been discussed here on the Forum and in the JOURNAL. All four were part of the SALVO trials in 1956 and 1957.

Ray

These are very interesting. My thanks for posting.

What was the powder & load used in the Frangible specimen?

Back in the 60s when they were common, we used them to rid our kitchen garden of woodchucks. They were quite deadly at 50 yards, reasonably accurate and did not make much noise. But after firing, there was sawdust residue in the barrel.

The powder used in the standard frangible cartridge (M22) was SR 4759, or something similar. The T74 was the exception, loaded to a higher chamber pressure using a faster burning powder such as EC or WC blank. It would appear that the one shown contains E.C. But it could also be a substitute made especially for the T74.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]Kevin - Thanks again. My photo file of sectioned cartridges is filling up. I may have to start a new one.

The jury is still out regarding the meaning of the colored tips on the duplex and triplex cartridges, both short and long neck. It’s been discussed here on the Forum and in the JOURNAL. All four were part of the SALVO trials in 1956 and 1957.

Ray[/quote]

Ray - Maybe next time you will leave my balls alone, cannon balls that is! (just kidding)

Thank you for the additional information that’s just not available anywhere else but through your experience. Many others have mentioned to me that they are grateful as well. Keep it coming, we are all soaking it in.
Kevin