30-06 Navy Ball

30-06 Navy Ball round with silver tip. Anybody have any differnt h/s’s?

Steve,

What is the Headstamp ? and how do you tell that it’s a Navy Ball ?

I dont think there will be any different h/s. Probably all FA 41.
I think there was just one lot number, FA2160.
Anybody else out there please feel free to correct me.
Cheers

Thanks Craig.

Now I wants one :)

correct, it was only LOT 2160, last LOT all M1 made for the US NAVY.
All are headstamped F A 41

cheers
Ren

The only FA 41 headstamped 30-06 round I have is an M3 Grenade Cartridge would that have been for the Navy ?

I don’t think so.
I have ball, AP and Tracer cartridges marked FA 41 and as far as I know
it is all normal production.
Somewhere out there, there is even a FA 41 NM.
If anybody finds its, pls let me know [color=red]:o)[/color]

Per HW&S, in 1940 the M2 ball cartridge was the standard for ground use, while the M1 ball remained the standard for aircraft use. Lot 2160, accepted September 3, 1941, consisted of 1,011,000 rounds for the Navy. The silver tip was to distinguish shis ammunition from the M2 ball. The last lot of M1 ball was lot 2161, 601,000 rounds, accepted October 24, 1941, also headstamped F A 41. They don’t mention the colored bullet tips for these.

Let me be the first to say that it’s all in the BOOK. By that I mean the Chris P book. That guy knows whereof he speaks.

Beware of fakes. Of course, I’m not sure how you can tell a fake from a real one. Anyone know???

If anyone finds any of those FA 41 Match cartridges, get two. I need a loose one to display along with my full, sealed box. ;)

Ray

What makes this Navy Ball different from other ball, except the tip? Is the bullet a different weight, does it have a different purpose? Is the tip a different material or just painted silver?

Cheif

The Navy stuff was M1. There had to be some way to distiguish it from the M2. They chose the silver tip to do that. Prior to that, the M2 was loaded with a stannic stain to distinguish it from the M1 but the staining was discontinued in 1940.

Just to confuse things, of course, there was also that limited lot of M1 (without the silver tip ???) also headstamped FA 41. I suppose you’d have to weigh the cartridges to pick them out of the crowd.

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]
If anyone finds any of those FA 41 Match cartridges, get two. I need a loose one to display along with my full, sealed box. ;)

Ray[/quote]

Hi Ray,

didn’t know you have the same porblem as I have :o)

[quote=“Flying Dutchman”]Hi Ray, didn’t know you have the same porblem as I have.

Hey! I was only kidding, but you’re not. Is that box for real??? Where in the world did you find it???

Ray

Hi Ray,

just kidding. The Internet, computers etc. etc. are all wunderfull things, but
don’t believe everything you see. There is a lot you can do with programms like photoshop, gimp etc.
But I guess this is how it would have looked like . . .
I have the National Matches boxes from 1930, 1932, 1935 till 1940
Just a few to go to complete the thirties.

pls don’t hit me too hard for joking

cheers
Ren

[quote]Just to confuse things, of course, there was also that limited lot of M1 (without the silver tip ???) also headstamped FA 41. I suppose you’d have to weigh the cartridges to pick them out of the crowd.
[/quote]

Ray,
Did Lot 2161 not have silver tips? I had assumed it was just like Lot 2160.

Rene

I looked real close at the “1”, thinking that maybe you had doctored it with a photo shop program, but you did a really good job. You fooled me, and many others. I’ll bet Chris P got fooled too.

Guy

I don’t know if the the last lot had the silver tip. I suppose you could interpret HWS either way. Maybe Chris is awake now and can answer for us. I’m not about to make a positive statement one way or the other after being chastised yesterday. ;)

Ray

Rene

I don’t think H, W, or S are on the Forum. We should send that photo to them. A good joke.

Ray

Shotmeister,
At the time the Navy ball was produced, the 150 grain flat base M2 ball was the standard. The Navy ball used the 170 grain boat tail M1 ball.

The photo below shows the progression of 30-06 standard ball bullets, from the left-
Ball M1906 (150 grain CN jacket - 1906 to Oct 1925), Ball M1 (170 grain GM jacketed boat tail - October 1925 to January 1940) and Ball M2 (150 grain GM jacket - January 1940 and after).

Does anyone know the Lot numbers of the “Navy” ball? I have boxes of FA M1 Ball, lot #'s 2085, and 2108…Would either of these lots have the silver tip? The boxes are sealed, so its hard to tell!

Were the Navy rounds intended for the 03A3?