.30-06 Norway

Hi my question is ;- Can anyone please tell me the difference between the two bullets. The one on the right is the same as in Chris Punnett book .30-06 and is a full round. The one on the left is a spent case, and has the same headstamp but not the same primer as it does not have the “R” for Raufoss, but has 3 x crimps. Is one of them a contract round or reload?

Paul

with excuses for the poor pictures, but here is a series of headstamps from Raufoss.
I excluded the RANO ones and the ones with Raufoss written out.

as you van see (and as you have read in Chris P’s bible), there is quite a lot of changes over the years.
sometimes primers are marked with R and others aren’t.

Below is a picture of some bullets variations,
Far left is the M2 bullet, The third is the shorter NATO Version.
I don’t no the diference between the first and later NATO bullet, so I am unable to tell which version (M2F1 or M63F1) this is.
The second bullet has same lenght as No 1 but has a smooth cannelure. (is this the later NATO Version ?)
The 4th bullet has a sharper ogive than No 1 & No 2 and has a knurled cannelure.

cheers
René

Rene… interesting to note only the ones with a coloured annulus have crimps!

looking for variations ? [color=#FF0000]:o)[/color]

Lot 1 - 1 no crimp, no color, R on primer
Lot 1 - 2 crimp & color, no R
Lot 1 - 6 crimp, no color, no R

I do have short-range cartridges with colored primer but without crimp.
However no Ball cartridges with colored primer and without crimp.

cheers
René

ok… there has to be a reason for this. Do you think the primers are the same type, ie;- The primers with the crimps are one type and the primers with the “R” on are a different type, Or is it something to do with the loading?..paul

I’m sorry I can’t add much to this…
But when it comes to the RAUFOSS marked cases, these were basically civilian cases used to load M63 Ball for the shooting movement. Those cartridges have no primer crimp or colour seal. But the cases were also frequently used to load military M2 ball, usually in stripper clips for the Mauser rifles the Germans so generoulsly left behing when they left in 1945. These were rebarreled as M98kF1 in caliber .30-06 in large quantities in the 1950’s. These cartridges had primer crimps and black, later green, coloured seal. The same could be the case with the AYR and RA headstamped cases as well, but I have no documentation to prove that.

The .30 M2 Ball and AP cartridges headstamped AYR 54/55/56 were procured by the US Army, and the reason of their manufacture originates from the mutual defense assistance treaty between the US and Norway of January 27, 1950 (amended on November 15 and 23, 1955). These were packed in TAEGA (Ball) and TAEAB (AP) crates (384 cartridges mounted in clips, in bandoleers divided in two 192 round metal cans), and some lots contain mixed years (functional lots). It is interesting that some of the clips were made in the Netherlands by Mouwerik & Bal.

Also, these were packed as belted ammunition in 250 metal boxes combined with US made tracer cartridges (functional lots).

It seems that some, if not all of these cartridges made in Norway, were procured to be delivered to Greece as part of the American Aid Program, and it is also most interesting that these clips/bandoleers with AYR headstamps can be found in sealed HXP 192 rd cans from the 1970’s.

The ammunition was produced under the so-called “Off-shore Program”, procured and paid for by the US. In Norway, at Raufoss, .30-06 and .50 Browning were made. Although much of it was distributed to other NATO countries, there is no doubt that it was used in Norway as well.

This box contains cartridges headstamped A.Y.R. 54 with no primer crimp.

Fede, if the treaty you mention is available in writing,it would be of great interest to see it…

Morten, what logo is that on the label?

It is a logo that was used by Raufoss Ammunisjonsfabrikker. It contains the crowned RA initials and a motiv that seem to refer to their fireworks Production.
Here it is more clear on two boxes of 12 GA shotshelss.

Thanks a lot for the clarification! Great info!

Looking at the image I posted on Friday, I see that I grabbed the wrong Box! “Parti 1002/53” (Parti = Lot) does not contain AYR 54 headstamped cartridges, but R.A. 1953 headstamps. Here is the correct box:

I’m sorry for this.

morten

Morten, sorry, I don’t have a copy, but I have mentioned this treaty solely as the political context that lead to the production of these cartridges. Do you know which other NATO countries received this ammunition? Regards, Fede.

No, I don’t. What we know, though, is that the Norwegian government, in December 1958, gave Raufoss Ammunisjonsfabrikker a license to export ammunition, including 7,62x63 mm calibre, to Cuba, at that moment under Fulgencio Batista’s control. Before the ship with the ammunition arrived Havana, Fidel Castro had taken control in the country, so the communists eventually ended up with the Norwegian ammunition! Rumors say that to be able to meet the delivery deadline, some of the ammunition was taken from storages funded by the Americans under the so-called “off-shore” program. So I wonder if you can find AYR-headstamped .30-06 ammunition at Cuba…!