.30-'06 Range Dummy?

I have been buying odd lots from an ammunition packrat’s estate for the past few months and have come across a few items of interest—I am not an ammunition collector, so they interest me, at least.
Among them is this round on the left, which seems to fit the description for Range Dummy as given in the .30-'06 sidebar at the main site.

This was found when I stripped a Garand clip of LC 66 found in a can randomly filled with various M2 and AP rounds. Is it Range Dummy?

Also in the pile, I have found tin plated bullet rounds with FA 36 through FA40 headstamps which, as per Hatcher’s Notebook, must be the pre-M2 return to the 150grain projectile. FA 49 AP with zinc plated primers (n/c?)—Bay of Pigs rounds—FA 41—full boxes of Eau Claire, Denver and Des Moines M2, etc.
Which brings up a proceedural question: It is my intention to fire most of this stuff, but not being a collector, I don’t know whether this is a sin or not, so I would like to solicit your advice on this matter. Fire, or don’t fire?
The tin bullet stuff is photo-op only, by the way.
Thank you.
-----krinko

From the only picture provided, one cannot tell if it is a range dummy, or a dummy roung of any type. It looks like a loaded cartridge. You did not describe any features that would indicate the round is anything other than ball ammunition, nor provide a picture of the cartridge itself. It is impossible to answer your question accurately based on the content (or lack thereof) in your inquiry. I know you reference a description elsewhere on the site, but that information should be included in your inquiry. It makes the other guy’s life simpler.

Give more details, and a picture of the round, and I am sure someone here can tell you with confidence what your cartridge is.

" Keep your eyes open for the Range Dummy. This round looks like a normal ball round except it has a groove cut in the head near the rim. This was used by instructors who sneaked the round into a recruit’s magazine to detect flinching."

I had this quote in the first version, but went to get the photo and when I got back, the nascent post was gone.
There are no other photos available right now, because I am not at home----but as the snippet from the sidebar indicates, with the exception of the groove, it looks just like an M2 Ball round and those are pretty much identical.
-----krinko

krinko,
This is the Range Dummy. You can see the milled slot running upwards from the head.

Were range dummies even made after WWII? This late of a date for .30-06 was mostly for Browning machineguns and aid to South Vietnam. Our troops were using M-14 and M-16 rifles, so I cannot imagine a need even for a .30-06 range dummy.

AKMS

"I cannot imagine a need even for a .30-06 range dummy."
Neither could I, AKMS, but I’ve looked at lots of LC Ball and never seen that cut around the rim before----maybe it got stuck in the machinery.

Here are photos of some of the other stuff from the mixed cans—

FA 49 AP—

Heads, showing plated primers—

I have been informed by a serious cartridge guy in Houston that this is n/c primer test ammunition and he hopes I won’t shoot it all—so I won’t shoot it at all.

One of the FA 37 tin plated bullet rounds next to an FA 10 10, to show the color difference between the Cupronickel and Plated jackets—

The FA 10 10 on the left was rescued from a rotting bandolier, along with a few others—the black stains on the jacket are from decaying cardboard inserts. The cardboard could not be saved, but the canvas bando is OK and there was a card from Frankfort Arsenal in there that has survived, as well.

Heads of the previous two—

Clips of the FA 10 10 and some FA 38 plated—

I’ll try to find the relevant quote from Hatcher regarding this 150 grain plated bullet stuff.
If anybody cares, I have some nice FA and other .45 ACP from WW1 and between, if you want to see photos.
-----krinko

Hi Krinko,

the Range dummy was declared obsolete in the early 40’s.
If yours has a HS with LC 66, it is probably a “home-made cartridge”.
Can you nevertheless post a picture of the side of the cartridge.

Thx
René

I see now that you are referring to the ring around the rim of your cartridge. That ring around the rim is just a manufacturing defect, either from the headstamping stage or when the extractor groove was cut and the automated lathe machinery got out of whack (for lack of a more technical term). Interesting, but not a bonafide variation. I have seen similar defects on other cartridges over the years.

1DD