.30-06 Strange neck/shoulder

The photo below shows three .30-06 cases. The case in the centre appears to have a shoulder that istoo high and at a shallower angle than a usual .30-06. Is this something else fireformed from a .30-06 or am I just seeing things? The cantre case is the odd case, it is headstamped “F A 33”. The case on the left is a modern commercial round headstamped “F C 30-06 SPRG”. The round on the right is a lend-lease Remington headtamped “R A 41”. The shoulder difference can be seen in the photo. This looks like it would not chamber is a .30-06 chamber without alot of force on the bolt. If it is fireformed, why chamber something with so little difference in dimensions from a normal .30-06? What adavantage would it bring?

Falcon

You are not seeing things, your eyes are fine.

The center case definitely has a longer body and shorter neck. The shoulder angle, to me, appears about the same.

This could be the result of being fired in a rifle with extreme exsessive headspace, or it could be intentional. In other words, a wildcat to increase the capacity of the case.

Never underestimate what a wildcatter will do. A change in body length like that would result in only a very slight increase in capacity which could result in absolutely no increase in ballistic performance. But that won’t keep a guy from trying.

The FA 33 headstamp is a common one - Frankford Arsenal, 1933. Cases of that genre are quite commonly found as wildcats because the empty brass was about all that was available to shooters during the WW II years.

Ray

Thanks Ray, I also thought that it would add so little capacity to the case to be worth bothering with. I know the Frankford '33 headstamp is common, thousands of rounds of .30-06 with last '20s and early '30s dates were supplied to Britain for use in the Lend-lease M1917 rifles issued to the Home Guard in WW2. These cases, sometimes made into wood bulleted drill rounds, are quite common over here. I have 1930, 1931, 1932 and now 1933 since I acquired this odd case. I thought there was something funny looking about it when I first looked at it, it was a find from a box of junk at a flea market.

Falcon

Can you tell by the primer if it was a reload?

During the 1920s and 1930s long range shooters here in the US had to rely on the National Guard and the NRA for ammunition and rifles. The avergae guy couldn’t afford to compete otherwise. Millions of those '06 rounds were issued and fired and the frugal shooters would police the firing line for the empties. The venerable '06 could be made into just about any wildcat imagined. Even belted ones, believe it or not. I’ve got 4 or 5 belted wildcats in my collection made from swadged '06 cases.

Ray

I did look at the primer, and it appears to be the same rounded brass Mil-spec primer as with my other Frankford '06 cases from this era. The primer also has a clear pink annulus.