30-06 Training Ammo/Dummy Ammo

Picked up 8 rounds of 30-06 Training/Dummy Ammo out of a junk box at the local gunshop. Headstamps are: FA 18 ,FA 29, FA 37, U.S.C.Co. 1-06, U.S.C.Co. 1-05, UMC 2 07, FA 34. The cases are made of steel and fluted with one to three holes in them. The slugs are all copper jacketed. Are there any value to these? I am planning on keeping them just because they are different. Also because I didn’t see much small arms training ammo when on active duty.

USMC - I can’t imagine all those cases being steel, judging from the dates on them. Have you tried them with a magnet? I would expect that they are plated or tinned brass. I am not a .30-06 guy, but I don’t think the U.S. was making any steel-cased .30-06 contemporary to those dates.

Dummies, like blanks, were made from rejected and left over cases, so any headstamp is possible from that era.

I am not up on values, but suspect that the value of each round is fairly minimal. Regardless, it is a nice assortment of headstamps, and a couple of early ones there. I would suspect that the 05 headstamp was originally a .30-03 converted to .30-06 to make a dummy, although I am not really precisely sure when they started to make the .30-06 cartridge.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]USMC - I can’t imagine all those cases being steel, judging from the dates on them. Have you tried them with a magnet? I would expect that they are plated or tinned brass. I am not a .30-06 guy, but I don’t think the U.S. was making any steel-cased .30-06 contemporary to those dates.

Dummies, like blanks, were made from rejected and left over cases, so any headstamp is possible from that era.

I am not up on values, but suspect that the value of each round is fairly minimal. Regardless, it is a nice assortment of headstamps, and a couple of early ones there. I would suspect that the 05 headstamp was originally a .30-03 converted to .30-06 to make a dummy, although I am not really precisely sure when they started to make the .30-06 cartridge.[/quote]

Mr. Moss,

Thanks for your answer. You are correct the cases are not steel. I tried a magnet on them this morning.

I made a mistake when I typed the 05 headstamp,  it is 12 05 not 1 05.

Was curious as to the value, but it was not really a consideration.  I will put them with some Training/Dummy ammo (.45 ACP & 12 Ga.) that I gathered up while on active duty.  They'll fit in with the eclectic collection of centerfire and rimfire ammo and boxes that I have.

Thanks,
  AJ