.30-06 VB grenade wood launching cartridge

Im looking for info on the 06 wood tipped grenade launching cartridge that was used to launch the VB grenade. Is this cartridge rare? did a US manufacture produce them or just French made?

Shouldn’t it be a regular ball?

jawa

Go the Home Page and open Chris P Introduction to collecting 30-06. He has a few words on them.

Ray

The wood bulleted rounds were used in training to shoot the grenade. The ball round had too great a danger area for most grenade ranges.

gravelbelly

Hi,

I have a VB blank in my collection, so I would not say they are rare.

My blank was made by Frankford Arsenal and has the headstamp FA 22-R so they are US manufactured.

VB stands for “Viven-Bessieres” which was a rifle grenade adapted from the French.

The wood bulleted practice cartridge was designed to actuate the grenade as the bullet had to pass through it in the launcher and to limit the range of bullet so the VB grenade could be fired on smaller ranges.

The 1922 VB was loaded with 55 grains of IMR 17 and 5 grains of FFG black powder.

Hope this helps.

Heavyiron

The wood bulleted rounds were used in training to shoot the grenade. The ball round had too great a danger area for most grenade ranges.

gravelbelly[/quote]

Gravelbelly, thanks for that info. Was that projectile solid to perform like a ball or hollow like a real blank?

[quote=“EOD”]

Gravelbelly, thanks for that info. Was that projectile solid to perform like a ball or hollow like a real blank?[/quote]

The Cartridge Collectors Notebook by Charles Just shows this cartridge, solid wood bullet, h/s: F A VB 33. The bullet temporarily closed the hole through the grenade to give more impulse and it also hit a striker in the tunnel to ignite the fuze.

gravelbelly

Gravelbelly, I am familiar with the grenade but wondered which way they took with the projectile, thanks.

If 33 is the year it means that by then the VB was still used by the US?

The VB grenade was one of the standard post WWI grenades. To allow practice on smaller ranges, the VB Grenade Practice cartridge was developed. First order (of 35,000 rounds) for this cartridge with a solid wooden bullet was in 1922. This one was headstamped F A 22-R (cartridge on the left). In 1933 the US Marine Corps orderd another 30,000 rounds wich were headstamped F A VB 33 (cartridge on the right). This cartridge had a 3-piece crimp.

Another order was placed in 1936 (without crimp) and loadings continued after 1939
(see HWS part 1)

cheers
Ren

Rene, thanks a lot for the info!