30-06 with brass foil jacketed projectile

30-06 with brass foil jacketed projectile? Non magnetic. M2 ball same headstamp weighs in at 398 grains and this round is 403 grains and I do not hear any powder inside this one.

Joe

Joe,

Kind of reminds me of an “ersatz” cartridge; attempt at reloading a fired case. Almost looks as if the primer has been struck and then reformed. Lathe marks or file marks on the thin brass bullet jacket? Reminiscent of something from the Vietnam War or Khyber Pass.

Or just a Bubba garage/shop special?

More questions than answers!

Brian

Brian,

I also was thinking possibly a jungle workshop other than South Vietnam. Khyber Pass is also a definite possibility.

Joe

Joe

You have got to stop searching for your cartridge in the local dumpster. ;-) ;-0

Ray

Ray, Ya, I know.

Joe

Joe,
The red primer paint is very reminiscent of the Vietcong reloads. They appear with a large variety of odd bullets - some clearly roughly turned down from 8mm bullets and anything else that they could get hold of. Can’t be sure though.

Chris, thanks for the input.
I have a question on another posting I started. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17712
Only info I could come up with was what Rene directed me to find in your book I bought off you in the late 90’s. Have you come across any more info on it’s possible origin other than what you published?

Joe Adashunas

Joe,

I have two similar ones in my collection.
One is marked Vietcong reload (but of course that doesn’t mean anything)

cheers
René

Rene,

Thanks for the input.

Joe