30-06

These two 30-06 cartridges are from the same arsenal and year of manufacture, any idea as to what has happened to the one on the right. Was it some type of finish that was done after the cartridge was assembled (it’s not paint) or is it just oxidation, it just seems so uniform and particularly around the primer and primer crimp
Carolyn

It is oxidation. The cartridge on the left was probably only removed from its packaging recently. The one on the right has probably been exposed to the air since 1943. The level of oxidation depends on where it was stored, humidity levels etc. The cartridge may also have spent some time outside.

Look out! I’m going to preach, again. Those are not 30-06. They appear to be Cal .30 Ball M2. It’s OK if the bubbas over on the Guns 'n Bullets forum call them 30-06 because we’ll never change them, but this is the IAA Forum. We should be better.

JMHO

Ray

Ray–Technically you are correct, of course. The term .30-06 or .30-06 Springfield only applies to Sporting ammunition, not Military.

The term .30-'06 long ago lapsed into common generic usage (at least in the US) to identify a cartridge, either sporting or military, that is manufactured for firing in a “.30-'06” chamber, Unless the topic of a question or comment necessarily requires more precise bullet identification, I think the use of .30-'06 in a general descriptive sense does not malign the hobby.

Every soldier I ever met in 9 years in the Army who knew any thing about guns from civilian life called this cartridge the .30-06 in some form or another (.30 aught six, .30 oh six, etc.). or simply the “.30 Cal.” Some soldiers just called it the “06”.

The fact is, in common parlance, the cartridge in military form or civilian form, both interchangeable with each other, is the “.30-06” or other derivitives of that name. I don’t know many collectors who call every single loading or this round by is military model number, but rather just .30 Ball, .30 AP, .30 Incendiary, etc., or the same way except for .30-06.

It is fine to nit-pick names, but the purist collector will never win on this one. The world at large has given up using the correct name for the 9 MM 08 military round or the 9 mm Parabellum civilian round, and headstamp their cartridges either just “9 mm” or “9 mm Luger.” Very few makers use the “Para” abbreviation on the headstamp anymore.

Personally, I am quite comfortable with the .30-06 appellation for all of the rounds of this caliber, sometimes modified to be more descriptive of loading, and will continue to use it. By doing so, the newest collector, or collectors who do not collect military cartridges (there are many of them), understand the commercial name, whereas many do not recognize the military disignations when they hear them. I will err on the side of clear meaning for all levels of collectors, and those shooters that sometimes express interest in collecting. I will leave being dogmatic on these things to the politicians. JMHO

Just my take on the subject. Not really open to argument, as well all know both sides of the issue.

All points are noted. On other forums, I used to attempt to educate and inform but after being scolded, chastised, sanctioned, and ridiculed unmercilessly, I gave up. I will, however, continue to argue the point here on the IAA Forum.

Imagine, if you will, my thread on the Cal .30 Match if I had titled it “30-06 Headstamps” and referred to the cartridges as ought sixes. Or my threads on the Cal .30 LR cartridges if titled “308 Winchester”. Would you correct me? I would expect you to.

So, be fore-warned. ;) ;)

Ray

Ray–Join the .45 Colt vs .45 Long Colt club. I too have pretty much surrendered to common usage against “Correct” usage.

Yeah Ron, I thought about you as this thread developed. Should we fight to the bitter end or give in? Either way, I guess we’ll go down in flames.

Ray

Ray–As they say, you can’t fight city hall. You and I, each for our own causes, are just lonely voices crying in the wildness.

Gentlemen with out your discussions some of us, who are less knowledgeable, would never find out the real names, and why they are so named. In this light we still enjoy the collecting because we can learn so much from a few!!! Thanks Vic.