30-220 Remington

There is a cartridge listed in the U.M.C. catalogs from 1899 to 1904 as the .30-220 Remington with a Metal Cased bullet. Anyone know what this cartridge is.

Is it the .30 Purdey Flanged? I seem to recall something like that

Craig–That is a possibility. I have a .30 Purdey Flanged in my collection with the headstamp “KYNOCH .30-220”. However, according to Hoyem, this is just a proprietary name for the .30-40 Krag, which U.M.C. was making at the time, so I doubt if they would have made a separate cartridge with just a different name.

Ron…It is not the .30 Purdey…Real cartridges were made, it’s not just “artists license”…I believe a fellow in CT has an example of one…

Randy

Ron: I have a copy of an ad for the Remington New Model Small-bore Military Rifle, model of 1896 that perhaps ties in here. The rifle is, of course, a rolling block, and it is described as available in 4 chamberings. These are the 7 m/m and 7.65 m/m Mauser, the .236 Remington and the .30 Remington. The .30 Remington is, as are the others, shown in a cut. It is similar to the .236 Remington, but is shown as having a slightly larger rim and case body and a rounded shoulder. It looks, in fact, like a Mannlicher 8m/m M.93 necked down a bit, and could be described as something along the lines of 7.62 x 53R. Like the other cartridges, it is pictured with a round-nosed bullet. My guess is this is perhaps the .30-220 Remington. Jack

Wasn’t a rolling block rifle old technology for a military arm by 1896? Were they being advertised for small countries with limited cash available?

Falcon: Yes, by the late 1890s the rolling block was pretty dated, but there were a fair number of countries who couldn’t quite afford a shipload of shiny new Mausers. Quite a few of these were actually sold in 7 m/m in south and central America. Jack

Is the 30 Rem illustrated similar to the 8mm Lee Nagant?
Rem sold large numbers of rollig blocks to France and Russia in WWI, 7.62 MN and 8mm Lebel cal.

Orange: Good question, but I don’t have a mental picture of the Lee Nagant cartridge nor a source immediately at hand. The description I gave is, I think, a pretty close approximation: the Mannlicher 8m/m M.93 rimmed, perhaps with a slightly longer neck and, of course, necked down for a .30 caliber bullet. The rounded shoulder is particularly reminiscent of the Mannlicher 8 m/m and also the 6.5 m/m rimmed cartridge for the Dutch and Romanian turnbolt rifles. Jack

Jack–I think you got it identified correctly. With your clues I found the following picture in Datig, Vol. 1, Pg, 135.

Does anyone know what the UMC headstamp is, on this round?

Dan

Ron: Glad you found the entry in Datig. Helps a whole lot! Jack