30-30 cartridge

Can anyone tell me about a rather new Winchester .30-30 load. This is loaded into the typical brass casing and it features the 150 grain Power Point bullet. However, the bullet jacket is a silver gray color instead of copper colored. I’m just wondering if it is something different than the usual 150 grain load.

I suspect that it is “moly” coated. Coating bullet jackets with molybdenum disulfide (?) was all the rage recently to reduce bore fouling and increase velocity if I remember correctly. Problem is, “moly” is hygroscopic and attracts moisture to the barrel, causing rust.

AKMS

If the bullet is one of the Winchester/Nosler Combined Technology bullets it is not moly coated. I’m not sure what the coating is, it’s probably a trade secret. Possibly danzac or one of the other slippery substances.

I’ve used quite a few moly coated bullets and I’ve not heard that it is hygroscopic or harmful to a barrel in any way. It is completely inert. I can’t imagine bullet makers using it if it was harmful to barrels.

Moly coated bullets result in lower velocities, BTW.

Moly is not new, it has been used as a lubricant for years. It’s an additive used in aircraft piston engines, 2-cycle engines, and as a weapon lubricant (dry-slide).

As usual, I could be completely wrong.

Ray

Thanks for the replies. These cartridges (I got 20 of them but they’re in a non-original box, so I can’t just read the lable) have bullets that are the Power Point in shape, complete with the little nicks at the soft point, but they are the same basic color as the new Ballistic Silvertip. I was wondering if these were a new bullet of Winchester’s.

The Combined Technology bullets are very dark, almost black, in color. If yours are a lighter, silvery color, they may very well be a new Winchester bullet and may be moly coated. There are other factory cartridges, such as Rhino, that use molyied bullets but they (the bullets) are usually found as a handloader option.

Moly coating is one of those things that make the circle every few years when new shooters forget what has been tried in the past. It became very popular, again, in the mid 1990s when a company (NECO) patented an impact coating process. They claimed increased accuracy and long barrel life. Benchrest shooters flocked to them but it didn’t take long for them to discover that both claims were without merit. The one advantage that they did offer was an increase in the number of shots between cleanings but even that was of dubious value since it took 2 to 3 times as long to clean a molyied barrel as one that was shot with naked bullets.

Sierra did some extensive tests and found that the claims were not based in fact. They did continue to make and sell moly-coated bullets because their customers wanted them. Several other bullet makers still sell them (a lot of them) but they no longer make any claims about accuracy or barrel life.

Because the coated bullets are slippery, they result in less pressure and lower velocities than the same load with naked bullets. Handloaders have to increase their powder charges when switching to moly bullets.

Moly bullets tend to coat the bore with a microscopic layer of moly and if it is not cleaned out completely corrosion can form under the layer. That may be what Jason meant by their use resulting in rusty barrels.

If you are going to shoot those cartridges it would be a good idea to clean the bore thoroughly before going back to naked bullets. Coated and naked bullets should not be mixed although in a 30-30 it probably would not make much difference.

And that’s all I know about that.

Ray

Ray,you are right.My father has used moly grease for years at work as lubricant .He used it when he had to unite two pipes of different gauges,to make the work smoother and easier

I used some this morning. It is used on the screw threads of the screws that secure tungsten carbide cutting tips to mill and lathe tools. This stops the screws seizing, as they get very hot during operation.

Ray, just a word of warning, I have heard of many reports from people who did not clean their barrels after shooting with Moly coated bullets and had severe rust after a short time, as little as one week. I don’t think this is an “urban legend”.

Will

I have heard the same stories so I’m sure there is something to them. But, I don’t think it’s the moly that is the culprit. Before shooting coated bullets the bore should be clean, very clean. If there is any remaining powder or copper fouling, the bullet will lay down a layer of moly over it and this is what causes the corrosion. That moly coating is very hard to remove and most shooters will not get it all out. If they go back to naked bullets it adds another layer of fouling on top of it and the situation just gets worse.

Benchrest and competition shooters are very meticulous and anal about cleaning and this hardly ever happens to them. It is most common in regualr steel barrels but can cause corrosion in stainless barrels as well.

JMHO

Ray

hello new here saw your post i have a box of cartridges as you describe they are just plain 150 grn powerpoint bullets with molycoating. they are @ 8 years old since then winchester has started producing the same with a plastic tip. i have some photos of box and cartridges but unable to post photos on this sight for some reason

Hey Remchester, thanks for your reply. That’s exactly what I thought they were, I have a full box of them but not in the original box. That left me with some confusion. Thanks again.

Hey again, Rem, Thanks for solving my little mystery. Wow! A Power Point Plus! I would have never guessed. Shoot sharp, 303mike