30-40 belted rimless Krag?

A modern reproduction, made in South Africa I am informed. I cannot figure out what firearm the original round was produced for. The case length is 2.300”. The projectile is 0.307”. Belt base is 0.489” and the section of case just before the belt is 0.457”. Rim is 0.493”.

Joe

Joe

Are you positive that’s not a dingbat? I can make several of them for you, for a price. ;-)

Having said that, I’m probably wrong.

Ray

Ray,

Supposedly not.

Joe

RayMeketa:

WINCHESTER ACTUALLY MANUFACTURED THIS CARTRIDGE DESIGN CIRCA 1893. IT IS ILLUSTRATED ON PG. 162 IN DANIEL L. SHUEY’S VOLUME 1 OF W.R.A.Co. HEADSTAMPED CARTRIDGES AND THEIR VARIATIONS. THE DESIGN WAS ISSUED U.S. PATENT No. 503,117 GRANTED ON 15 AUGUST 1893. THE BELT WAS TO ASSIST IN ALIGNMENT AND POSITIONING OF CARTRIDGES IN CLIPS.

George,

Now what was the rifle that the round was chambered for?

Joe

Joe

I’m glad to learn I was wrong and that yours is a reproduction and not a dingbat. I hate dingbats, even though I have made a few myself (and a few reproductions as well).

Ray

See Ray, I am not the dingbat collector you think I am.

Joe

Joe, I can add that this nice replica was made by O.P.M. Ammunition in Bapsfontein, RSA.

Regards,

Fede

JOE:

I DON’T KNOW WHAT, IF ANY, FIREARM THIS WAS DESIGNED FOR. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT IT WAS DESIGNED ONLY AS AN IMPROVEMENT FOR LOADING CLIPS. IF THERE WAS A FIREARM I SUSPECT IT WAS A ONE-OF-A-KIND. THE CARTRIDGE IS OF COURSE ONE OF THE GREAT W.R.A.Co. HEADSTAMPED RARITIES RIGHT UP THERE WITH THE 32-70 U.S.N. AND .46 W.C.F. AND A FEW OTHERS. IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT THE FIREARM WAS, IT WOULD BE GREAT IF THEY WOULD SHARE THAT INFORMATION WITH THE REST OF US.

Fede,

Thanks as always.

joe