30/40 Krag Cutaways

30/40 Krag (.30 USG) cutaways,

WRA/Co 30 USG
F/01
UMC/12/06 - 2 piece case (Friction tight?)
RA/17/* - R on primer
FA/4/17 - 2nd sub-cal, 2 piece case (notice solder bead bottom inside case)
WRA/31

wolfganggross:

I HAVE COLLECTED TO CALIBER .30 CARTRIDGE (30-40 KRAG) FOR OVER 45 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN EITHER OF THE 2 PIECE CASE VARIATIONS YOU ILLUSTRATE. THEY ARE SOMEWHAT SIMILAR TO THE DUNN & FREEMAN SHELLS FABRICATED AT WEST POINT. BE INTERESTING TO KNOW WHO MADE THEM AS I DOUBT THEY WERE MADE BY U.M.C. I’M CERTAIN RANDY WILL ALSO FIND THEM INTERESTING. THE U.M.C. IS THE MORE INTERESTING OF THE TWO.

The UMC case seems not to have a Cole-type bullet which I’d think would be correct for 1906 production. Jack

Beautifully done as always, I love your cutaways.
Thank you

What is the purpose of the two-piece case? The sub-caliber cartridges were loaded to about the same ballistics as the regular ball ammunition. Drawn cases were first made 30 years before those dates.

Unless some previously unknown documentation surfaces, I would suggest these were made by a very good machinist with a lot of time on his hands, just to “see if he could do it”. The UMC cartridge, certainly, and most probably the FA cartridge, would be subject to serious gas leakage when fired, as both of these appear to be full-power ball/sub-caliber cartridges.

Dunn-Freeman cartridge of the late 1890’s, as mentioned by GWB, shown below…

Randy

Randy,

These are rounds I sent Kevin for sectioning. They were not obtained from the same source or even at the same time. Neither had any external markings other than the standard headstamping. I was very surprised when I got his phone call asking if I knew I had sent him 2-piece case items.

Not arguing just saying they came from separate sources.

Pat