30-40 Krag short range projectile

I aquired this cartridge some time ago and it has been awaiting cataloging until now. The lead projectile protrudes 20mm from the case and has a single deep cannelure. hs is F A 2 07. The cartridge was sold to me as having an experimental short range projectile.
Can anyone confirm this for me and provide any further information?
Cheers
sorry the photo is a bit dark

Image Improved Courtesy Ron Merchant

Craig, this appears to be one of the types which were used in reduced range trials - the Ideal type seen at item C, page 78, HWS Vol. I, 2nd Ed. I have a specimen in my collection.

However, these are .30 US (Krag) rounds, not the .30-06 Springfield. The same source shows no such loading in the '06.

It doesn’t mean this is illegitimate, but it does make it seem suspicious.

If the bullet is made from a very hard lead alloy rather than the common lead alloy, it is a reload. I have several of these in my collection and according to Chris Punnett they are a rather common reload of the 1920’s.

I believe this mold is still sold under the Lyman brand. I know I have a double cavity version and it is an excellent shooting bullet with a hard alloy and gas check at moderate velocities in the '06 and Krag. So I’d not limit the dates of use as reloading fodder to the 1920s, as for sure it is still in use although lead alloy rifle bullets are not as popular and common as they were at least into the 1970s.

That doesn’t look like an '06 case to me.

Ray

Sorry guys, I must have been suffering from severe brainfade.
I must have got confused because I was photographing 30-06 projectiles that night and it was way past my bedtime.
This cartridge is definitely a 30-40 Krag. The Ideal projectile in HWS looks very similar but just wondering if this was something different because of the cannelure

Hi, All…The Gument…was very “stingy” about supplying .30-40 Krag ammunition to Army and NG units to be used for target practice back about 1900 or so…soooo…the NG units especially loaded their own using many different Ideal bullets available in those days. Dr. W.G.Hudson did a lot of work in this field to develope lead bullet loads for the various ranges at which targets were shot. Frankford Arsenal also experimented with various Ideal bullets over the years to develope a reliable “Guard” load…Randy
P. S…I thought the neck looked a bit long to an '06 !!

Also…forgot to mention…your cartridge appears to be loaded with Ideal 308284 bullet, 207 grains with gas check…this bullet was designed in co-operation with Dr. Hudson and Ideal especially for the Krag rifle…and…it is hard to tell…if this was loaded in say…1960 by a handloader…or in 1905…there is really no way to tell by the “hardness” of the bullet, as various alloys were tried way back when as well as later on…

That information is really helpful.
Thanks very much guys