30-40 Krag UMC Scott Patent

Hi, All…

One of the acquisitions from SLICS is interesting…

#1: UMC Krag case for three bullet Scott round, without a sleeve
#2: UMC Krag case for three bullet Scott round, with the sleeve (found at SLICS)
#3: Same as #2, with sleeve sectioned
#4: The “typical” W.R.A.Co. “2 bullet” cartridge case.

Scott played around with things…it is interesting to note that all I have ever seen are “solid” swaged on sleeves, the UMC cartridge case found at SLICS has a sleeve resembling a tapered piece of thin wall tubing, and was once probably swaged to the case, but is now “loose”

The drawings are 2X size, headstamps are 2.5X size

Randy

Interesting Randy, and totally new to me!
So what was Mr Scott’s rational for stacking bullets upon each other? Seems like a sloppy excuse not to reach for a more effective weapon loaded with a shotshell full of buckshot!

Shotmeister

Hey, Chief…

The Scott patent cartridges were some of the first “duplex” and “triplex” cartridges…right around 1900…But…you have a point about the buckshot…

Randy

Here’s a picture of the ‘typical’ round to accompany the post. Note the different powder charge between the projectiles to aid separation. In the main powder charge there is a loop of heavy paper. Does anyone know what purpose this served?

Paul

You can download this patent here: depositfiles.com/files/au3dgez3i

2moutrage…Yes, but…you see that the patent, just like those filed in the US PTO, shows only the solid sleeve, not the tubular one…

Randy

Ok. The second attempt

depositfiles.com/files/5y8w13uun

Is that powder between the two bullets? How would it ignite? What would be its purpose?

“Note the different powder charge between the projectiles to aid separation.”

From that same posting.