.30-40 Krag

The cartridge to the right is in question, next to a known .303 British rd.

I thought this was a 7.62X53R but the only reference I had showed a shorter case. This one measured 2.30 but it is cracked and the bullet is loose so I do not know the overall length. The bullet seems to be a copper-nickle jacket with a lead core and appears to be .310. You can see this from the bottom of the bullet. The bullet weighed 220grs. The cartridge is Berdan primed and had grains of powder that were star-like with holes in the center.

This seems awful heavy for a 7.62 bullet and I checked it with a magnet, it is not reactive.

This reads (9 o-clock to 6) 3 F A 07

What it is?

Looks like a 30-40 Krag made by Frankford Arsenal for the US military to use in the Krag rifle (adopted before the Springfield).

It is a .30-40 Krag, made by Frankford Arsenal (Philadelphia, PA) in March, 1907. The powder should be Laflin & Rand WA 30 Cal, short, fat, round granules with a hole in the center. The case should have one flash hole (Boxer Primed).

Thank you Randy! I must be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrom or something! I simply ignored the obvious! Indeed, it is boxer primed.
What about the bullet weight, type? Was the the .30-40 always loaded with such a heavy bullet?

Chief…The standard Ball bullet for the .30-40 Krag was 220 grain. Your cartridge has what is called a Cole bullet, used from late 1902 onward…Before 1902, other 220 grain bullets were used, the first, in 1894, being a smooth bullet like the Cole but more blunt-nosed. In 1896, basically the same bullet shape was used but now with one crimping cannelure. In 1900, three cannelures, and finally, in 1902, the Cole bullet. Many other bullets were used with the Krag cartridge for various cartridge types, but the above basically covers the Ball bullets.

Chief

The cartridge that replaced the 30-40 Krag, the Cal. 30, Model 1903, used the same 220 grain RN bullet with nearly the same ballistics - 2300 fps. It lasted only three years.

Ray

Randy

Are the bullets with 3 crimping grooves very common?? I have never seen one. Is it a good idea to pull a bullet from a 1900-1902 cartridge just to get one, or are the cartridges worth more than that ? I have both cartridges and loose bullets for the other three types. And the commercial GM bullets with one and two grooves.

Ray

Ray…
Krag cartridges with the 3 groove bullet are not uncommon…if you have a cartridge that dates from 1900, 01, 02…go ahead and pull the bullet…

Shotmeister, with you being into guns and living in the USA I’m really surprised you haven’t seen a Krag round before.

Falcon

Can that kind of talk.

The same for your comment to Armourer on another thread.

JMHO

Ray

Ray, I didn’t mean either comment in a bad way. It is a frequent problem with online conversations that there is no tone of the comment avaialbe to other readers. In the comment to armourer I was thinking more that it could be an error on the part of the postal serivce with the date stamp, not his.

Falcon, no offense taken and in fact you make a valid point! Frankly, I was very disappointed in myself because I should have known! I have a commercial 30-40 round but for some reason I just rushed thru my identification effort and depended on this site to do my work for me. Should not have been so hasty.

Two lessons learned from this post. All will notice the pictures are back!
Thanks all for your patience and help.

Glad you took no offence, I wouldn’t have if someone said I they were surprised that I hadn’t seen a round before, I’d also wonder how id missed it.