30-40 Krag?

I bought this as a 30-40 Krag and I now have some doubts about its authenticity. The dim. match the Krag but it has a h/s (very light) of MAXIM and a U on a round brass primer. Is this a legitimate cartridge or did someone make this in there basement. The h/s looks like someone took a scribe and did it free hand to the head.
Carolyn

Carolyn…I do not know of any Krag cartridge that would be legitimately headstamped MAXIM. A “U” monogrammed primer, would, of course, indicate production by UMC or Remington, and usually monogrammed primers indicate a smokeless powder loading. A cartridge without a headstamp would indicate an “in factory” experimental load or a “trial run” before full production. The mouth configuration appears typical UMC. Does the mouth wad appear original ? UMC usually used a bluish-gray color.

Randy

Randy
The wad is a dark tan in color. The Maxim name was inscribed by someone, its not from the factory, maybe for there own identification. In HWS’s book they only mention the one from FA
Carolyn

Carolyn…The FA “no-bullet” blank is un-headstamped also…with tinned case and a different mouth configuration…and VERY RARE. If you shake your cartridge and can hear the powder, this is probably a smokelesss load. UMC loaded both black and smokeless no-bullet blanks in this caliber…

Randy

Randy
I don’t hear any powder so I assume it’s black powder
Carolyn

I have no idea what I’m talking about but, is it a 30-40 Krag? The neck doesn’t look long enough. Also, isn’t there a Brit version of the 30-40 called a 30 Purdey or some such? Maybe it’s one of those?

Randy, your comment about un-headstamped 30-40 cases caught my attention. I have a couple, both empty. One is tin plated and has a deep cannelure about halfway down the neck (multi ball?). The other is brass and appears to be a typical GI 30-40 except there is not headstamp. Have I won the lottery?

Ray

Randy/Carolyn,
I’m not sure whether this will help, hinder, or make no difference at all, but this round looks identical to the .30-40 ‘no bullet’ blank currently available on the November listing of colcartinc.com. but with a headstamp added.
Jim

Jim
That’s were I purchased it from, but not being that familiar with that cartridge I had to ask some questions.
Carolyn

Ray…The cartridge in question is definitely a Krag blank. Yes, there is a British version of the .30 Krag is called the .30 Purdey, and it is identical dimensionally to the Krag.

Your un-headstamped cases sound FA to me…these were made in both Ball and Paper Bullet Blank…why exactly some were made or “escaped” without headstamps seems to be an unknown…Could we see a pic of the tinned case with neck cannelure ?

Randy

Randy

I had to search for those two un-headstamped cases. You’ve heard the old saying, “It’s always in the last place you look.” Well I’m here to tell you that is a bunch of baloney. The plain brass one wasn’t in the last place, or the first place, or any place. I remember putting it away for safe keeping and it will be safe for a while longer.

I did find the tinned one, but had forgotten that it is fired. So, here it is and it probably held just the single round ball.

Ray

For what it is worth I have the same Krag blank (U on the primer) but without any head scratching. Total eight is 167.6 grains, has a 2.217" OAL & it has a light tan top wad.
Another has a 2.319" OAL (longer neck) light blue topwad & a U.M.C. .30 U.S.A. hs with plain brass primer. It weighs 247.5 grains.

Maxim had both blanks and ball round made in .303 British with his name on the headstamp but are also dated 1895 (at 6:00), so perhaps someone was confuzed the krag & the flea-0-flea?

Pete and all…I agree…I had speculated to Carolyn in a PM that, without a headstamp, this cartridge may have been confused with the .303 by an early collector, who scratched MAXIM into the head. I have seen others like this, without headstamp, where the caliber or other ID was “headstamped” with a pen knife, etc.