.30 bandoleer inserts from 1928 and Lazy Dogs

I asked my awesome older brother to send me some lazy dogs that I wanted and he just threw together an awesome care package full of neat stuff, including these mint condition inserts…

1 Like

What are the little “bomb” shaped items mixed in with the flechettes ??

2 Likes

Lazy dogs. They were thrown out of aircraft at random over populated areas. Inert but deadly if one got ya on the head.

Thanks for the link Vlad. I just got home and was going to see if there was something already on this forum about them. My brother sent me a few, all the others are soaking now to get corrosion off but the one in the picture is pristine.

Thanks for the replies! I have several of them and wrongly assumed they were deployed by an explosive charge. Never saw any of these in RVN during my 2 tours there.

Actually (I was never in Viet Nam) but I heard they were used there https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_Dog_(bomb)

The standard lazy dogs are the ones photographed, though there were quite a few variations. They were loaded in paper sacks, similar to lunch sacks, and packed into a bomb-type dispenser for aircraft use. The standard dispenser was 500lbs, I’ve got a datasheet on it someplace around here. There may have been a few left for use in VN, but their primary time was late WWII through Korea. Their current replacement is PAWS, which Pepper has some nice examples of.

1 Like

Here are some of the variations.

4 Likes

Great image!
The red plastic one is also from that series? Does it have a steel core?

Correct, it is a thin plastic over steel.

Just what I need a whole new collecting fit!

I have a couple or three of those “lazy dogs” somewhere.
I never knew what they were called, thanks!

Once I read they are designated “2B” but can not find an official source right now.

Jeff, the red one, is the core there a .50 steel core?

Do you also have other types with complete .50 projs. from the test series in the 1960s?

Air drop, free fall Mk 44 Lazy Dog cluster adapter (dispenser):

Mark 44 cluster adapter—a simple hinged casing with bins built in to hold the lazy dog kinetic projectiles (marked as “missiles” in the above diagram) opened by a mechanical time delay fuze.

PS- Description of the Mark 44 from TM 9-1300-200, 1969, Ammunition, General, 1977 Update. Page 10-8:

TM 9-1300-200, 1969, Ammunition, General, 1977 Update. Page 10-8

3 Likes

Wow thanks for the clarification, learn something new every day here.

Alex, I don’t believe so, if it is then it has been milled down considerably. I have not seen any of the variations made from a full .50 projectile, only in references. I’d love to find a box sometime…
The “2b” designation is on a diagram in an AF document someplace, I’d have to do some serious hunting to locate it.

Sounds good, looking forward to what ever you may dig up in this regard.

Dug through some of the docs, found one ref, but no 2B yet. Out of time for now, I’ll see if eventually.

IMG_0440 IMG_0439

1 Like