.30 Cal. Defective Cartridges, 1890

A description of “Defective Cartridges” for magazine rifles tests that was required by the Office of Board on Magazine Guns, NY, Dec. 17, 1890. Cartridge used was a .30 cal. experimental made by Frankford Arsenal (.30-40 Krag predecessor).

• No. 1: Cross-filed on head to nearly the thickness of the metal.
  • No. 2: Cut at intervals around the rim.
  • No. 3: With a longitudinal cut at the whole length of the cartridge, from the rim up.

1 Like

Fede - very interesting to me. I had a very scarce, un-altered Model 1892 Krag years ago. Interesting to see it took them at least two years to officially adopt the rifle after testing, perhaps longer.

Thanks for posting.

Salud.

John

Krag was recommended for adoption after 1890 trials but political interference caused another set of trials in 1892 when Krag was again adopted.
Have a copy of the 1892 trials report and this test used the same defective ctg test.

Some of these same sort of tests (scoring / cutting the case wall) were done with developing the aluminum 5.56x45 / .223.

This same test was in practice since 1873 until the adoption of the Model 1903 rifle.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Fede, Those tests types may have been suspended after the adoption of the 1903 rifle, but I agree with Pete that they were certainly revived when they began experimenting with aluminum cases for the 5.56 x 45. I have had several examples go thru my hands, with scouring in various ways to weaken certain portions of the case in case-strength tests.

At least, I assume that was why it was done. I can think of no other reason for it.

John