30 calibre dummy cartridge

I bought this recently and I wonder exactly what it is that I’ve acquired. It’s a dummy cartridge, chromed all over with 6 flutes, an empty Berdan pocket and a single knurled ring between the extractor groove and the start of the flutes. The bullet, which is slightly magnetic is held in place with a heavy coned crimp. the headstamp is ‘K’ at 12 o’clock with ‘.30’ at 6 o’clock.

Is there any significance to the knurling? Is there a type designation? Any idea when it might have been made and for what?

Happy collecting, Peter

It is not a British issue drill round.

I believe these were made in Denmark from fired Kynoch cases.

Regards
TonyE

It’s certainly made from a fired case, it was chromed after whatever it was that made that gouge on the base. The coned neck crimp is very similar to that found on 30-06 ‘HA’ made drill rounds, this is quite a distinctive feature.

Happy collecting, Peter

I agree, it has the general look of a scandinavian style of drill round.

The Danes made a number of different drill rounds from fired British cases, including 7.92. These usually have a wood bullet and three shallow grooves around the case. They also have a circle added to the headstamp.

regards
TonyE

Tony,

After looking through my other stuff I see I have a 7.92 BESA cartridge headstamped ‘K5 44 IIZ’ which has three rings pressed round the case, an empty pocket and the neck heavily coned onto a natural wood bullet. I couldn’t see a circle though, maybe it slipped through the net.

I’d put it in my ‘slightly weird’ box so it’s nice to have it identified.

Peter

This is the Danish M58 Dummy. They used surplus cases including those from the UK (typical headstamp: K .30) and the US (typical headstamps: D M 4, R A 43), as well as Danish cases. They used fired and new cases. The knurling was added when they used a fired case. The design evolved and eventually ended up with an unplated brass case with 6 flutes and an empty primer pocket.
Chris P.

I have had one of the wood bullet dummies for a while, a 7.92 Besa round headstamped “R/|\L 43 W II Z”. I always thought it was a UK war expedient drill round.