.30 lead projectile

Hello, recently found a .30 lead projectile, I was just wondering what kind of shell it would be from, maybe .30 carbine?

One thing that I haven’t seen often in bullets I find is that it also has 5 rifling scores rather that 4 or 6 which I normally see

Any info is greatly appreciated, cheers Hamish

I believe that the U.S. Model 1917 Enfields used five groove rifling. The bullet looks similar to those on the M1919 Gallery Practice cartridge. They were used for training on indoor ranges, but after the ammo was surplused, it could have been used anywhere.

1 Like

Hamish, are you not in Australia? If so, this may well have been fired in a .303 Lee Enfield. If you have a fired .303 bullet with the rifled portion of the jacket still in good condition it would be useful to compare this bullet to one of those. Jack

Gday Jack, I am in Australia, more specifically south Australia. This gun rage was predominantly used for .303 for shooting competitions and bits and pieces of shooting every where. So I don’t see it unreasonable that it may be the gun you mention. I will attach another photo of the rifling and bullet below.

Although many (if not all) of my .303 have 5 scores they are all facing the opposite way as the rifling on this lead projectile.

Possibly 32 S&W bt. S&W revolvers had right hand twist.

Hamish: Shortly after I posted that response I realized the bullet had been fired in a right hand twist barrel so could not be any British .303 or the U.S. 1917 rifle. Like Orange I wondered about a revolver. I thought of a Webley, which like the S&W has RHT (at least in the .455 mk.VI). Perhaps it’s one of those two revolvers; good question at any rate. Jack

Webley revolver lands are narrower than the specimen illustrated.

Orange: Are the lands consistent with Smith & Wesson practice? I have a friend who knows modern Smiths pretty well from the mechanical angle. Jack

S&W had lands about eqal to groove width.

Other possibilities of arms other than Smith and Wesson which might have fired a .32 S&W cartridge are the revolvers of that caliber produced in prodigious quantities by Iver Johnson and Harrington & Richardson. No idea of appearance of a fired bullet from either. Jack