.30 Military 220 grain Bullets

Some years back, I purchased a large quantity of assorted bullets. I packed most of them away, but I kept some out for reloading. A couple of months ago, I discovered this nearly-forgotten stash. In it were a couple of hundred 220 grain RN-FMJ .30 bullets of probable military origin. They are not in original boxes, so there is no way to identify their source. They have cannelures and cupro-nickel jackets. On a lark, I loaded a few in .30 Remington cases and fired them in my Model 81 Remington. Surprisingly, they fired a very tight group (better than typical for that rifle).

The diameter of these bullets miked a little over 0.307". I am assuming they were originally intended for the .30-40 or maybe the .30-'03. Now my question - Do these bullets have any special historical and/or monetary value, or should I just go ahead and shoot them up?

If cannelured they’re likely Krag bullets; the .30-03 was generally loaded with the Cole-type smooth bullet. A potential problem with using these cupro-nickel bullets is that of metal fouling. They might better serve to create dummies for display purposes. Jack

I fired only 10 rounds in the Model 81, with a MV of about 1500 ft/sec. I didn’t see any signs of bore fouling, but maybe more firing would produce some.

That’s the load I had planned to use on all those pesky elephants and Cape buffalo in my back yard.