30 Nato SLAP and accelerator

From left to right
8 WCC 8 SLAP , red painted base, pointed tombac bullet,Tracer
8 WCC 5 SLAP, pointed steel bullet
A 79 7.62 R1M1, troncated tombac bullet

1. The left one is Tracer, isn’t it ?
  2. The right one is a RSA military ctge, or a commercial loading on a military case ?

Thanks
JP

Again out of the old LeClair catalogue:-

Tracer
USA
SLAP
clr plst sabot
ptd gmcs tip
FB pr
red PA
ring pr crimp
H/S: 8 WCC 8 SLAP
(Their price) USD$25.00

Tracer,
South Africa,
SLAP Pattern
semi-ptd gm
FB pr
purple PA
3 stake pr crimp
clear sabot.
H/S: A 79 7.62 R1M1
(Their Price) USD$50.00

[quote=“NZ L1A1 Collector”]Again out of the old LeClair catalogue:-

Tracer
USA
SLAP
clr plst sabot
ptd gmcs tip
FB pr
red PA
ring pr crimp
H/S: 8 WCC 8 SLAP
(Their price) USD$25.00

Tracer,
South Africa,
SLAP Pattern
semi-ptd gm
FB pr
purple PA
3 stake pr crimp
clear sabot.
H/S: A 79 7.62 R1M1
(Their Price) USD$50.00[/quote]

thank you very much
JP

JP,
I had a file going on those two U.S. 7.62x51mm SLAP cartridges, but the file is now useless due to a lightning strike. I do remember general information which may be of interest. The round on the left in your picture is a U.S. M959 SLAP Tracer and the one in the middle is a U.S. M948 SLAP cartridge. Both types can be found in 20 round boxes or as linked MG ammunition with 9-1 interval. IIRC, the M959 SLAP Tracer used the same projectile as the U.S. 5.56mm M856 tracer ammunition held in the sabot. If you look closely thru the sabot, you should see the cannelure on the tracer projectile. And the M948 SLAP used a non-ferrous penetrator. The WCC SLAP head stamp dates I have or have seen vary from 85-90.
Someone offered me five '82 dated SLAP cartridges with LC head stamp. The sabot was bluish in color and the head stamp did not include the term “SLAP”. I talked it over with a few experienced cartridge collectors in my area, but we never could determine if the LC was an earlier original loading or something questionable. Someone here may have further info on it.
I have added the picture of the '82 LC 7.62x51mm SLAP cartridges sent to me for examine. Though the poor quality picture makes these cartridges appear to be Cal .30 (.30-06), they are 7.62x51mm.

Carey

The Clear sabot may be from Remington. While normal production cups were clay colored and held 224 cal bullets there were other type too. Remington made several different color sabots for their Accelerator and some were sold surplus to Blue Star Ctg and Brass of Sercy Arkansas. Pat Garrett of Blue Star came to me and asked how to get the bullets out of the Remington sabots ( they had bought 4 55gal drums of them as scrap ). I convinced him I could develop loading data for anything and he starting seperating good ones from horrible ones. So for 5 years we sold cups and/or saboted 22 bullets for 30 cal things. I came up with loads for all sort of things, 30 Herrett to 30 Carbine to 300 Wby Mag.
I even had some at IAA Chicago 1985? to 1988 loaded in unusual ctgs. I think the last batch I had was 300 WBYMag - of course these were never-never offered as original R-P production ammo.
Someplace I have samples of everytype of sabot we found, if someone would be interested in a picture I would let them post it.
IF - IF the bullet is 224 dia it may not be a “normal” SLAP. US made SLAP penetrators are much smaller than 224. Not to say another country might not make one in 224 of course.

Crunch,are you 100% sure those drums came from Remington ? I do not claim to know anything for fact, but have had some very close friends at the former Remington Bridgeport plant (circa 1978 to closing) and never heard (or was sampled…for my collection) any rounds/bullets/sabot colors other than “clay” and white (which were attributed to LC SLAP sabot…tried in their commercial Acclerator rounds)(and some clear…I have blue, red, gray , black colored sabots (likely from you and ICCA shows of the 80’s)…but none that I know of have been attributed to the Remingtom plant…certainly from Bridgeport. I will ask some folks, but you bring you some interesting “stuff” (and hopefully other forum readers will chime in)…(now that I think of it I don’t have any .30 cal clear sabots either)

I think the oddest Commercial style Remington Acclerator round (with the standard tan/clay production color sabot) is the belted cased and headstamped… R-P 10mm REM MAG,I have a dummy, a seperate case, two sabots with SP bullets…but no loaded round…100% out of Remington Bridgeport

Pepper

Hey Pepper long time no see/speak. Good luck this season. Batteries are down and charger is MIA, but I will have some pics tomorrow for you.

What I am sure of is: BSCB and Pat Garrett is in Searcy just north of Little Rock. I am sure he thinks he picked up the drums from the Remington Docks in Little Rock. I am sure that he buys fired test brass from Remington from Std loads and from Pressure test ( some rifle cases he has sold me has dimples from a test plug setting next to the brass as it was fired ). I am sure that in the drums were blue, clear, white, and 4 types of clay-Tan colored.

The clear and the blue that I have were in the drums with the others with identical bullets in them to those in the Tan colored ones and that the clear and blue sabots were out of the exact same mould as the Tan ones. The Tan colored were for 6mm bullet, three for 224 bullets. Three different lengths of slits in the side. The length of the slits in the sides determined how easy the saboted opened.

The red ones and some other type of blue sabots I have seen were not Remington style sabots, but I dont have any at the moment to look at.

I will get you pics soon.
John B