30 Pedersen variations

Other then head stamps how many variations of the 30 Pedersen are there?

• There is the common Pedersen with different head stamps
  • There is a (long bullet) 30-18 with the same case and a heavier bullet loaded farther out.For a Browning rifle.
  • and IAA issue 508 price list shows a (long case) US Auto pistol M1918. What is it?
    Thanks Bob

I have 15
Dummys, the two commercial headstamps, variations in the common plus the FA headstamped.

Pete
Can you tell me what the US Auto pistol M1918 long case is.
Thanks Bob

As you most likely know all these were called pistol rounds to hide their actual end use from the then enemy.

In HWS 1 Revised pg. 62, boxes of the “standard” variants are called “Model of 1918”.
In June 1919, due to lack of killing power experiments were attempted to correct this flaw. bullet weight, bullet seating (giving longer OAL) plus case construction and length were tried. So exactly which of these variations the price list considered to be the “long case” or “long OAL” I don’t know.
However HWS gives an “F A 20” example acase length of .931 while the early “REM-UMC 9M/M BS” case length is .777, but some FA cases (only 250) were made with an 0.95" length.

You have to realize the price list was generated a long time ago and are not as specific as they could be.

Hi Pete
Thanks for the reply.
That makes it a lot clearer.
The only ones I have are standard RA H 19, given to me by a friend with a Pedersen Device
and a RA 19 (long nickel plated bullet)
Thanks again Bob

Hj Bob
Your long RA 19 would be for the BAR, the one you mention as #2 in your original post.

A good picture showing different .30 Pederson rounds and headstamps can be seen on Guy Hildebrand’s website: http://www.oldammo.com/july07.htm

Pete and bdgreen
Thanks for the additional information.
Bob

The US Auto Pistol Model 1918 is the Remington Manufactured Pederson Device fro modified US model 1903 Mark1 rifles. Replaces the bolt and uses a long 32 round magazine that is inserted from above right at an angle. Ejection port is in left side of rifle reciever. While a number were made, none saw service in WW1. was intended to increase firepower of infantry while Ive sen both 1918 and 1919 headstamps, and the long bullet loading not sure thewre ever were many more made. Majority of devices were destroyed, ammo still shows up in box lots as well as loose. Intersetingly, tyhe French 1935A & S pistols as well as a submachine gun used a round dimensioanlly the same as the perderson cartridge. Dont know about ballistics but disassembled round have same bullet weight!