30 x 100mmB WECOM Ammunition Box, Lake City 1969

Here are some pictures of a repurposed " SMALL ARMS AMM. BOX MK. 1 MOD O … FA 55 ", repainted and stenciled in order to store an 80 round belt of 30 x 100mmB WECOM ammunition (XM 639 cartridge, percussion primed), product of Lake City Army Ammunition Plant, 1969.

WECOM, an abbreviation for (U.S. Army) Weapons Command.

Lid-

IMG_2263b_zpsdtuutifc

Side-

IMG_2268a_zpsvu8laewk

IMG_2269a_zpskxkv5gkb

End-

IMG_2262_zpsl1hpaecc

30x100mmB dummy cartridge and link-

30mm20WECOM206a_zpse2jxbo5r

An article on 30mm WECOM cartridges is in IAA Journal #496 March - April 2014, page 60-61, entitled 30mm WECOM-30 and Successor M and XM Numbers, By F. W. Hackley, Woodin Laboratory. On page 61 Figure 1 is a photo with the caption: 30MM WECOM-30 Target Practice XM639 with brass XM193 Case (LCAAP Loading).

There is a good description of the gun systems using the 30mm WECOM with excellent pictures (the text is in Italian, use an on line translator if needed):

sobchak.wordpress.com/2010/01/05 … ubsystems/

Any additions or corrections are welcome.

Brian

1 Like

Brian, great images, thank you for sharing!

The Italian website seems to “copy” a US based website (something named like: “Helicopter Armament sub-systems”) which is offline right now.

I know that the 30x110B WECOM cartridge had a couple of other guns designed to fire it apart from the XM140: the three-barrel rotary XM188 and the Chain Gun which was subsequently converted to 30x113B and became the M230.

Does anyone know if all three of these guns used percussion ignition? The M230 in 30x113B of course uses electric ignition.

Brian, thanks a lot for sharing.

Tony, the XM140, XM188 and XM230 guns used percussion primed WECOM rounds. Then, in March 1976 the US Army was ordered to use the ADEN/DEFA round because of NATO standarization, this leading to a modified chain gun for this electric primed round that was designated XM230E1.

Regards,

Fede

Some information about the XM639:

Thanks Fede,

I also have in my collection a dummy of the original 30x110 WECOM, with a very fat bottlenecked case. Do you have any data on that?

Tony, it sounds like the cartridge model for the Springfield Armory APWS gun of 1964. Please, can you post pictures?

Here you go: 30 x 113B at the top, 30 x 100B WECOM in the centre, and this 30 x 110 “WECOM” dummy.

Tony,

Thanks for the picture.

The web page ( sobchak.wordpress.com/2010/01/0 … ubsystems/ ) shows a picture (Springfield Armory, 1964) of the Area Point Weapon System (APWS) mockup gun and dummy cartridge like the one in your picture. There is an additional picture from Springfield Armory (August, 1964) showing the XM140 gun and what appears to be a gun function dummy cartridge with the same profile as the dummy cartridge shown with the mockup gun.

Brian

Thanks for the link, Brian, very informative. The two photos you mention are shown below.

I ran the text through google translate and edited it a bit, so here it is, to save everyone else the bother!

XM140 WECOM ARMAMENT SYSTEM

In this post I will talk about the XM140 30mm automatic cannon and its major subsystems.

Despite being unknown to most, the XM140 had a certain role in the development of automatic cannons to attack helicopters. In fact, while the present day commonly sees 30mm weapons on board aircraft such as Apache, Tiger and Havoc, at the time of the debut of the XM140 was one of a kind.

In the fifties and sixties calibres higher than 12.7mm were exceptionally rare. It was mostly guns for fighter aircraft adapted and mounted on handmade installations or semi-handicraft made in a limited series (e.g. Mauser MG 151 of the French Alouette in Algeria and M24A1 American Huey in Vietnam). The importance of the XM140 lies mainly in the fact that it was the first real autocannon specifically designed for a combat helicopter

The XM140 had automatic electrical feed to a fixed weapon breech and single barrel actuated by a cylinder cam. The XM140 consists of two masses: the first recoiling; the second does not recoil (or fixed). Receiver, barrel, drum cam and breech block are components of the recoiling mass. Feeder, support, motor, clutch and the feed system are part of the mass that does not recoil.

The XM140 was driven by a 2.5 hp ac 28V motor. The nominal rate of fire was 400 rounds per minute, but it varied depending on the voltage. It was air-cooled and had an electro-mechanical feed. In the event of a jam and/or faulty ammunition, the weapon automatically ejected the ammunition and loaded the next round.

There was a muzzle brake with six channels on each side in order to mitigate the effects of recoil.

1. MAIN FEATURES OF XM140

Designer: Springfield Armory
Manufacturer: Philco-Ford
Caliber: 30x100B
MV: 670 meters / sec.
rate of fire: 400 rounds / min
recoil-based operating system
Closing system: cam
Loading System: Electro-Mechanical
Ammunition: XM552, XM554, XM669
maximum range: 3000 meters
Barrel length: 660 mm
Maximum length: 1530 mm
maximum width: 123 mm
Depth maximum: 368 mm
Weight: 63.5 kg
Cooling: air
Headspace: Fixed

1.1 ammunition

The main ammunition of the XM140 was the XM552 dual-purpose high explosive grenade based on a 30x100B caliber cartridge.

The XM552 was developed at the Picatinny Arsenal in 1965. The head of the projectile was of the dual-purpose type, based on a shaped explosive charge. The length of the complete ammunition was approximately 178mm and weight little more than 400 grams.

• XM140: HISTORY

The long and difficult development of this weapon began under the Kennedy administration in 1963, when the US Army Weapons Command issued a requirement for a new generation of cannon intended for armed helicopters (also called gunships) and future attack helicopters.

After the necessary evaluations and comparisons with other weapon systems, the US Army decided to award the project to Springfield Arsenal, which was allocated the task of continuing with the development of the new weapon.

Initially, the project was known under different names:

• Gun Type Aerial System (GTAS);
  • Point Area Weapon System (APWS)
  • Weapons Command, 30mm (Wecom-30).

It was only when the formal development started (June 1964) that the appropriate official designations were assigned: for the XM130 gun, and XM30 for the first subsystem for the helicopter UH-1.

The XM140 was born mainly for two reasons:

A. totally or partially replace the XM3 2.75 inch rocket launcher normally mounted on the UH-1 Huey of Aerial Rocket Artillery;

B. equip attack helicopters with multi-role weapon capable of engaging personnel and lightly armored vehicles (i.e. APC, IFV etc).

The XM140 was required to be able to hit both area and point targets.

One of the first prototype XM140 shown at Springfield Arsenal, 24 August 1964. Note the 30mm ammunition, very different from what was later adopted for this weapon.

2.1 - Lockheed Cheyenne and first test of XM140

The main recipient of this weapon was actually the Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne, a futuristic compound helicopter that in 1966 won the Advanced Aerial Fire Support System (AAFSS), organized by the US Army a couple of years before. The XM140, however, could also be installed on other types of aircraft, both fixed wing and rotary.

The programs for the construction and testing of XM140 / XM30 were approved in January 1967, however, various problems with the weapon and ammunition delayed the start of testing at the Aberdeen Proving Ground until September 1968.

In the next ten months the weapon and subsystems were tested first on a UH-1C (XM30 subsystem), and finally on real attack helicopters like the AH-56 (XM52 subsystem) and the AH-1G (XM120 subsystem). Also in that time frame the XM140 was again subjected to modifications aimed at increasing performance and reliability.

3 - WEAPON SUBSYSTEMS

While the weapon was obviously the same, the three subsystems differed greatly from each other:

XM30 armament subsystem
Bell UH-1
The subsystem XM30 included:
• Two XM140 guns enclosed in as many streamlined pods;
• A pair of feed systems for XM140;
• A container for the ammunition (sited in the UH-1 cargo area);
• Boosters and amplifier junction;
• Control panel and aiming station.
A total of 1200 rounds (600 per weapon) were carried.
This subsystem was the first US Army tested.

XM52 armament subsystem
Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne
The AH-56 Cheyenne was used instead subsystem XM52, which had a single gun and was installed inside a belly turret. The major components included:

• XM140 gun with ammunition feed system;
• Ventral turret;
• control panel;
• Cylindrical magazine.

The turret could rotate 200 ° to the right and to the left with an elevation and depression, respectively maximum of + 26 ° / -60 °. For security reasons the XM52 was provided with blocks that prevented the weapon’s fire from hitting the aircraft.

The drum contained 2010 rounds and had a diameter of 99cm and length of 101cm.

XM120 armament subsystem
Bell AH-1G HueyCobra
As regards the Cobra it was decided to exploit the space normally occupied by the M29 turret with Minigun and grenade launcher. It came as a prepared installation with the electrically powered XM120 turret.

1. SERIES PRODUCTION AND CANCELLATION OF PROGRAM

The Aeroneutronic Division of Philco-Ford won the contract for the construction of the weapons. 70 weapons were manufactured: 11 in 1967, 16 in 1968, 43 in 1969. In 1969 the weapon reached the first stage of limited series production.

Unfortunately the AH-56 Cheyenne, was plagued not only by seemingly insurmountable technical problems, but also by the gradual increase in development costs. Also friction and rivalry with the US Air Force played a secondary role in the fate of this aircraft.

The US Air Force, feeling threatened by the AH-56, did everything in its power to scuttle the Army plans for close air support (CAS). In fact, one of the motivations driving the A-X, which became the A-10, was to convince the political and military leadership that the USAF was able to provide an aircraft able to fulfill CAS functions.

Returning to the Cheyenne, development testing started with the inaugural flight on September 21, 1967; continued between ups and downs until the accident of 12 March 1969 in which the test pilot died. Meanwhile, the Department of Defense, due to budget cuts, had canceled the order for 375 examples signed in 1968.

Lockheed continued development, hoping to get new government funding, but the diversion of funds to other company programs any further effort to an end in August 1972, after making just ten examples. By that time, the XM140 was now well under way and, according to US Army data, the ammunition fired had exceeded 620,000.

Unfortunately, the end of Cheyenne coincided with that of the XM140, which was abandoned shortly thereafter.

Shortly after the end of the Cheyenne program, the US Army launched a requirement for an Advanced Attack Helicopter (AAH), who later would result in the AH-64 Apache and a new gun: the Hughes M230. But that 's another story.

I should add that the site is well worth visiting, as there are lots of photos of the XM140, by itself and installed: https://sobchak.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/xm140-30mm-gun-xm30-xm52-xm120-armament-subsystems/

XM 639 percussion primed casing picked up off range. Sun and weather has faded markings. Plus it was lacquer coated to save what there was. Hard to for me to photograph.

CTG 30 MM
TRNG XM 639
LC-2-31-10-69

Joe

Edit. Additional pictures of projectile missing nose cone supposedly picked up in the vicinity. Also similar unrelated projectile showing what nose cone possibly looked like.

I’d love to find one of these cans to go with my growing “short 30” collection:

-WRM

1 Like

anyone still have these pictures?

I can’t remember if they were from this thread, but I have detailed pics of the stenciling. Give me your email address and I’ll pass them along.

-WRM

ETA: They are these pics; the pics earlier in the thread still show up for me?

Fede reloaded the photos for this thread!

1 Like

I just picked up an FAE headstamped XM369 with brass XM193 case. Any idea which link this is?

Aluminum case marked XM193B1

1 Like