300/295 Rook

I am looking for information on the 300/295 Rook. I have seen references (on the internet so you know it is right) that says the Holland and Holland invented the concept of the Rook rifle and their first Rook caliber was the 295 Rook? Also, I have seen bullet diameters listed as both .295" and .300" and that they are the same cartridge. Is any of this true? Are they interchangeable and is it a cartridge developed by H&H?
Thanks,
Joel

I can’t speak to who developed the .300/.295 Rook, but the cases are headstamped both ways. I don’t know about bullet diameters, but Bill Fleming lists .295" and .300" for the .295 Rook & .295" for the .300 Rook and also lists it as ca. pre-1874
They are interchangeable.
Both Eley and Kynoch offered them.

Joel,

The term may have been promoted by Holland & Holland but Rook and Rabbit rifles were going back way before their centrefire cartridges were marketed. I have had pinfire and needlefire rook rifles.
If you want the full story of Rook rifles, you should get Vols 7 & 8 of “British Single shot rifles”
By Wal Winfer & Tom Rowe. the two vols together total over eight hundred pages solely of Rook and Rabbit rifles with great color photos and many pics of the ammo boxes.

Jim

Joel,

Yes they are interchangable, see attached box pics, shown as 295 - 300.

Jim

Joel,

And just to confuse things , the Americans loaded this round also.
Remington Arms - UMC loaded this with same 80 grn. weight bullet and called it the “30 Rook”.

Jim

Yes, I am finding these old cartridges very difficult to classify. Thanks for all the information! I’m trying to get a complete collection of all the cartridges designed by Holland & Holland and am not sure if I should include the 300/295 Rook. At this point I’m leaning toward excluding it. However Wikipedia lists both the 295 and 297/250 Rook as H&H designs. So, the question is how much should I trust Wikipedia? I’ve found other references that list H&H making rifles chambered for these cartridges but I don’t know if H&H only made rifles for their own cartridges or if they chambered for cartridges developed for someone else.