.300 AAC Blackout (7.62X35mm)

I noted there have been some previous postings on this caliber. Today I received some interesting data on the Blackout from one of my contacts. Seems some factions in USAF have recently become very, very interested in using it in a 9" (or shorter) barrel version of the M4 as a replacement for the MP-5 as used by OSI, etc., and also possibly for various special ops PDW applications. After looking over the data, it seems to have some real advantages over the 7.62X39 in such applications - no 5.56 bolt face or magazine modifications needed when used in the M4 configuration, and decent ballistics. Plus, a subsonic 220 grain version is available, in addition to 123 and 155 grain versions.

In the past USAF has, off and on, considered a weapon based on the AK-47 in 7.62X39 in this role, and also possibly in 6.8mm, but that never got anywhere. This one just might. AF can consider this as an Air Force-specific item and as such does not have to coordinate with the Army, which greatly simplifies adoption.

Has anyone here taken a closer look at the.300 Blackout cartridge yet? Opinions?

I shot a few of the .300 Whisper iteration/variety; with a can on the weapon it definitely yields a quiet but powerful combo. I’m a big fan of heavy-bullet suppressed long guns; the AR-pattern .458 SOCOM and the John’s Guns integrally suppressed 77/44 are 2 of my favs…300-600gr projectiles.

Earlier this year I was planning on doing some test/eval on the Knight 6x35mm PDW, 6.8SPC, .300AAC and a couple of other options, mainly as a way to use our agency’s existing AR lowers and gain some bullet weight/power for perimeter, antivehicle, and a couple of other uses.

Budget cuts and a change of administration have killed even meager purchases, so I never got past the 6.8.

I think a real potential for the Blackout as a PDW will be the use of .mil ammo (SLAP, true AP, etc.). In some cases a new platform or cartridge catches interest and the ammo catches up at a later time (12ga for instance)…I’ve always seen better results when full-envelope ammunition is already available for proof of concept.

The 7.62x40 Wilson Tactical is a very similar idea, also based on the 5.56mm case but focused on supersonic loadings only. The lack of any need to accommodate the long, heavy, subsonic bullets allows a longer case with more propellant capacity to be used, pushing up the performance.

See: shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Comb … ducts/414/

Of course, if you want still more poke there’s the .30 Herrett Rimless Tactical from Teppo Jutsu, which is the 6.8mm necked up to 7.62mm. See: quarry.nildram.co.uk/TeppoJutsu.htm

[quote=“DennisK”]I received some interesting data on the Blackout from one of my contacts. Seems some factions in USAF have recently become very, very interested in using it in a 9" (or shorter) barrel version of the M4 as a replacement for the MP-5 as used by OSI, etc., and also possibly for various special ops PDW applications. After looking over the data, it seems to have some real advantages over the 7.62X39 in such applications - no 5.56 bolt face or magazine modifications needed…

In the past USAF has, off and on, considered a weapon based on the AK-47 in 7.62X39 in this role, and also possibly in 6.8mm, but that never got anywhere. This one just might.[/quote]
Maybe. Maybe not. As I recall, some years back Reed Knight tried unsuccessfully to interest the military in another .300 Whisper clone. I don’t know why this copy would fare any better.

Also, one thing that the USAF might find unsatisfactory is the question of magazines. I once discussed this issue with J.D. Jones, creator of the original version. He told me that the (G.I.) magazines from some manufacturers do need modification – altering the inside of the front rib – to function with .300 Whisper cartridges. That problem would likely resurface in USAF testing.

I have been shooting the 300 AAC in an earlier version, the 300-221 for several years now. I originally built it for my daughter. The small cartridge in a semi auto made for low recoil, and the collapsible stock could be made to fit her. Turned out she did not want to shoot it, so I figured I might as well use it and did so for the last five years. It is a wonderful weapon. No kick, very little noise, and it has killed deer and pigs to 200lbs no problem. Pretty much limited to 100 yards or so though. Longest shot I have taken with it is 125 and the bullet drop was already noticeable. It is interesting that someone mentioned the 7.62x40, as last season I went hunting with Kurt B., the man who designed the cartridge. We have some fairly big hogs on our Texas hill country ranch and I was worried that the 300-221 might be on the light side for a big pig, especially since my rifle, for whatever reason, cannot push a 125 gr bullet faster than 1850 fps. Kurt built me a 762x40 upper that we took along to try. It performed beautifully. Kurt was shooting another of his cartridges, something he calls the .25 Bailey. If I remember right, it is a 257 based on the Grendel parent case.
Kurt has a thread on the 7.62x40 where he posted pictures of the rifles and hunt. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=382761&page=24

Edit: when I went back and looked at the pictures, it looks like the 25 Bailey, or .25x40, is based on a .223 parent case. I will ask Kurt to be sure.

FYI:

http://www.ammo-one.com/300AACBlackout.html
Thank you,
Dave Call
http://www.ammo-one.com/