300 amu

somebody showed me this ctge and told me it was a sniper round
two questions:
is it scarce ,
why there is a REM-UMC hstp ? (the full hstp is 300 Rem-Umc at 12 o clock)

JP

JP

The headstamp is REM-UMC 300. Correct? It was made with an altered bunter, removing the word “MAGNUM”.

AMU is Army Marksmanship Unit. It is a long range target cartridge.

Sniper cartridges are usually something like a 300 Win Mag and have a military style headstamp such as W C C 90. Or one of the 7.62x51 Match cartridges such as the M118 or M852.

Ray

Ray,
I have the same box, also lot 5004 - looks like 5001. Wish mine was a nice as yours.

Guy

Those are collectible boxes, no matter the condition. Do some of your cartridges have split necks? Mine do. Apparantly Rem did not do a good job of annealing.

It might surprise you to hear that I was in the service with the guy who created the AMU. Of course, I was just a sailor boy and he was Commander in Chief (D.D.E.) ;) ;)

Ray

JP,

Just to add to Ray’s response, the .300 AMU was also made with military style headstamps such as W C C 60. I have also seen this round refered to as .300 Ackley Magnum. I use a loose system of estimating scarcity of collector ammuntion that goes like this: If I have one, it probably isn’t…!

Nice box Ray.

Dave

Dave

I also have a box of the WW 300 Ackley Magnum cartridges. Headstamp is W C C 6 0. They appear to be identical to the REM-UMC cartridges.

I’m like you. If I have one they are not scarce. If I have a whole box they are even less valuable. If Guy H. also has a box . . . !

Ray

Thanks to all !

Does it mean in the US army they have for the same period of time many different calibers for sniping ?
300 Ackley, 338 Lapua, 50 Brg and so on

JP

Ray,
The necks on mine are all okay, or they were the last time I looked. Sounds like we need to switch boxes and get my cartridges in the box they deserve to be in.

[quote=“jean-pierre”]Thanks to all !

Does it mean in the US army they have for the same period of time many different calibers for sniping ?
300 Ackley, 338 Lapua, 50 Brg and so on

JP[/quote]

JP

The US military has used several cartridges for “sniping”. They use whatever is appropriate for the particular situation.

AMU staff and facilities have been used to help develop and improve sniper weapons, systems and tactics but as far as I know, the AMU cartridges were never used for anything but competition. This is true of all calibers of AMU ammunition.

Ray

so…are the 300 AMU and the 300 Ackley improved the same cartridge?

I have the 300 Ackley magnum ( 40# shoulder) and the 300 Ackley short.
What is the one identical to the 300 AMU?

Pivi

The AMU cartridges were designed and developed by AMU. Cartridge manufacture was contracted to Remington and Western. As far as I can tell the Improved-AMU and the 300 Ackley Magnum as loaded for the AMU are the same.

Don’t forget, apart from the AMU cartridges, the 300 Ackley Magnum is a wildcat so you will find many variations of it. Likewise it will be found made from a wide variety of brass. Also, there are other wildcats so similar that it is often difficult to tell them apart. Such as the 300 Weatherby Improved, the 308 Baer, and others.

The 300 Ackley Magnum with the 40 degree shoulder is probably very close to the AMU cartridges, if not identical.

The 300 Ackley Short is a another wildcat altogether and there are several variations of it also. Probably more of them than the full length wildcats.

AMU also produced 7.62x51 Match cartridges with at least 4 different bullet weights and types. Most were loaded by contract (both Rem and Western). but some were loaded by AMU staff using components from the contractors.

Competition cartridges is a very interesting collecting specialty and the AMU is but a small part of it. Since the majority of competition cartridges are wildcats, the two specialties overlap, a lot.

Ray

I have 3 h/s variations. I have the WCC, and the REM-UMC.
But I also have a R - P 300 that appears to have been made with a modified bunter as it has a large gap where “MAGNUM” should be.
Is this more unusual?

Craigt

That’s a later headstamp. Sometime after 1960.

Unusual? No.

More valuable? Most of us don’t do values.

Ray