300 weatherby mag id

I posted this Q back in January and got no answer and the thread quickly morphed into other things, like most of our threads do. So, I’m going to try it again, and even add to it.

Here’s my initial post:

[i]Bunter has obviousley been ground to remove the “NUM”. It may not be evident in the photo, but the part where the grinding was done is rough and shows grind marks which is not typical of ground bunters.

Round nickle primer is not typical of WBY cartridges. Bullet looks like a Hornady Spire Point but I know that WBY used Hornady’s in some of his early loadings so this feature may be OK. Looks factory original. [/i]

Since then I’ve acquired another. Same bullet but it’s seated a lot deeper and the headstamp is missing part of the “H” so it reads 300 WEATIIERBY MAG. The primer on this one is also nickeled but is more of a dome with a flat on the top, if you know what I mean.

I also just got another 300 Weatherby that is headstamped REM-UMC 300 MAGNUM. Not a reload or a fire-formed case. Obviously formed from H&H cylindrical brass. It’s loaded with a Rem Bronze Point bullet.

I think this is probably one of Weatherby’s first cartridges from the 1940s when he was making rifles in his garage and loading his own ammunition.

Anybody ??? Don’t go into the primer thing again. We beat that to death in January.

Ray

Anticipating that someone will want to see the second headstamp, here it is. No sun so I took it with a flash. Not my best.

Ray

Ray…When Roy first started out…“in his garage”…did he actually make his own cartridges…“from scratch”…headstamp and all…and grind bunters to indicate a special loading, etc. ?..What is your take on how he started out…??..Not my field but awfully curious…Please give us a history lesson if you can…Randy

Randy

I don’t know the history of Weatherby except that he started out building rifles (mostly his own wildcat designs) in his garage during WW II using whatever actions he could get his hands on. Like most rifle-makers of his day he provided his customers with loaded ammunition or formed cases and dies so that they could load their own. The REM-UMC 300 MAGNUM cartridge is, I’m almost positive, one his first.

After he had acquired enough $$$ to branch out he contracted to have both rifles and ammunition made, both in the US and overseas. Some of the earliest cartridges with the proper headstamp were made by Speer.

After a rocky period of non-delivery of promised rifles and ammunition, and near bankruptcy, he eventually pulled things together and became a millionaire.

Today, he’d have no worries. The US Govt would bail him out, then buy him out, then close the business down.

Ray