.303 ball question

Last year at the int. ECRA meeting in the Netherland, I bought 2 .303" ball rounds produced by Eley Bros (see image) from mr. P. Smith.

unfortunately I cannot reproduce the info that came with it.
so maybe one of you guys can help me with this query:

• are these cordite MKII ball rounds or BP MKII?
  • what is the estimated production date?
  • There are no fixation punch marks on the cartridge case mouth, is this because these rounds were produced for commercial use and not for military use?
  • based on the size of the primer, I guess this is a boxer primer, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for the help.

all the best, Joost

Looks like a MkII BP. The BP and cordite MkI ammo was loaded with a Boxer primer. BP ctgs were made without the stake crimps.
MkII ctg approved July, 1890 and replaced by Cordite Ctg MkI in Nov. 1891.

[quote=“militarycartridges”]Last year at the int. ECRA meeting in the Netherland, I bought 2 .303" ball rounds produced by Eley Bros (see image) from mr. P. Smith.

unfortunately I cannot reproduce the info that came with it.
so maybe one of you guys can help me with this query:

• are these cordite MKII ball rounds or BP MKII?
  • what is the estimated production date?
  • There are no fixation punch marks on the cartridge case mouth, is this because these rounds were produced for commercial use and not for military use?
  • based on the size of the primer, I guess this is a boxer primer, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for the help.

all the best, Joost[/quote]

Joost,

These are Powder mark II rounds and date from 1889. The lack of bullet crimping or staking sometimes gave problems when a live round was extracted, leaving the bullet stuck in the leed. The bullet was held by neck tension only. Ref: ".303 inch by P. Labbett and P.J.F. Mead ISBN -0-9512922-0-X.

gravelbelly