303 blank, what purpose, why?

I have a blank cartridge, headstamp is CAC C VI, darkened primer, the unusual things are firstly the OAL is 2.015" and below the crimp is a cannelure on the neck.
The crimp is the 6 petal type and appears similar to other 303 blanks, and the cartridge will chamber in a SMLE rifle.
A MF 59 Z67 measures 2.180", SO!
Why so short, and what does the cannelure signify?
Last of my unknowns in the 303’s.
Thank you in advance! Terry.

Some Mk VI blanks had their mock bullets removed this would then show the cannelure. The Canadians had a Mk V blank with a cannelure.

Hope thats some help.
Simon

[quote=“Terry”]I have a blank cartridge, headstamp is CAC C VI, darkened primer, the unusual things are firstly the OAL is 2.015" and below the crimp is a cannelure on the neck.
The crimp is the 6 petal type and appears similar to other 303 blanks, and the cartridge will chamber in a SMLE rifle.
A MF 59 Z67 measures 2.180", SO!
Why so short, and what does the cannelure signify?
Last of my unknowns in the 303’s.
Thank you in advance! Terry.[/quote]

If this was originally a “Blank with Mock Bullet Mark VI” then it would have had a fully blackened case and a natural brass mock bullet. However the blackening does get rubbed off with handling. The mock bullet was ring crimped into the neck cannelure and also had three stabs into the neck just above the cannelure. It is these stab or “pops” which may clinch the identity as they can usually still be seen on the case neck after removal of the bullet.

gravelbelly

No stab crimps, and having once been a bulleted blank is certainly and explanation for the cannelure, but why the shorter OAL, allmost 3/16 " shorter than the standard blank, and in proportion to the standard blank,
with shoulder, neck and crimp corresponding.
Thank you all, but still wondering.
Terry.

here is an image of some .303 blanks, it does not answer your question because this MK VI blank is even longer then the blank MK V.

home.casema.nl/j.j.h.roelofs/bri … rimped.jpg

But maybe the extra crimping just above the shoulder is comparable…

hope this helps.

Joost

Have found a reference in the ACCA journal No 108 to volume 2 of Barry Temple’s Identification Manuel of Blank Ammunition. MK V short pattern
with no date of official approval, but this one has no headstamp.
The size coincides with my headstamped model??

BTT