.303 Brit "CAC42 VII" dummy from NZ

Is it Australian or New Zealandian? How to tell? Also, what is the proper adjective for kiwi things?

Quoting John Kindred in a recent discussion on this very subject ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17003 ):

“After 1906 it is easy, since in that year CAC Australia started to include the month and year in the cartridge headstamp, which was not done in New Zealand. Any packet dated 1907 or later without the month in the headstamp of the contents is NZ.”

Kiwi things???:-)

Funnily enough, the “proper” adjective form is just “New Zealand”, or even simpler, NZ.

• Ole

Does the shape of the dummy side grooves mean anything? Why are they tapered?

Due to the taper on the case as you push the round through the forming die the indentations will get deeper as the case goes into the die so forming what looks like tapered grooves, if the case was parallel then you would get uniform depth grooves down the case.

I hope that makes sense.

Rich

Ole: The problem of calling it NZ instead of New Zealand is that I can prounounce “New Zealand” well enough but I’m not at all certain about doing “NZ” justice. Jack

Relating to sksvlad’s original question. The CAC42 VII is a S.A.Dummy Drill .303 Inch L.P. round and was made in New Zealand and normally in a 10 cartridge black paper bundle with red print. CAC was used on Australian 303 until end of 1920 with the month in the headstamp. NZ CAC 303 only ever had the year shown from 1917 with a ‘C’ cordite or ‘Z’ nitrocellulose through the 1920’s. CAC was used on headstamps throughout the life of NZ made 303.
Les

New Zealand >> “En-Zed” ( NOT “En-Zee”!!!) But better still;. KIWI. Rarely heard term “En-Zedders”…except for Rugby Team…“All-Blacks” ( Not a Racial connotation, but reference to their Black Football attire…)

Doc AV

Now, this is a different dummy, very similar to the first one, but has no headstamp, has an inner wooden insert and drilled holes through its body. Is it a Kiwi also, or something else?

Its a British D Mk IX.

Hello.
Here is a pack with ammunition and identical markings.
Have a good day.

L.P.==Local production.

The Grooves of Drill rounds could be impressed by two means, 1. equally spaced slots in a “Chamber piece” which held Blades which were Pressed in by a tapered Body on the outside ( Like a collet)
2. Fixed Blades in a similar Chamber Piece, and the cartridge case is Pushed in and extracted. The Blades are Co-axial, so in a tapered case, they give a tapered groove.

AS a Comparison, 9mm , .30/06, and 7,62 Cases are “pressed in” grooves ( equal size all the way) and very tapered cases like .303 can be Both types.

I have made a Blank crimping die which as four fixed (and tapered) Blades, with form a “Maltese Cross” type closure of Long Blanks, followed by a (Bullet seating) Taper type die, which forms the final tapered closure of the Bullet Profile.

BY the way, whilst sorting out Fired HP (Hirtenberg Patronenfabrik) 7,62 Nato Blanks, I found that the four groove fold, followed by a rotating crimp closure, led to a Swastika-shaped Vent in the nose of the fired cartridges…I have tray of 50, and need to find a way to scan the image for Posting on the IAA Forum…quite distinctive, and very regular… I will try a Photo, but I think a “Contact Scan” will give a better image…any other ideas?

Doc AV

Doc AV

A quick comment on the packet. The LP stands for Local Pattern, indicating that it was not based upon a British design.

John