303 Brit Indian packaging

I assumed (incorrectly?) that Indian-made ammo was an exact copy of British. So how come I don’t see such individual packs (like the one in my photo) with British markings at the gun shows? All I see are British boxed rounds, mostly 60’s re-packs or bandoliers. Am I just not lucky or UK re-packed all the old ammo?

Generally Indian ammunition is an exact copy of the British equivalent, although there are a number of “India Pattern” cartridges which are unique to India,

However, your 10 round packet is a normal packaging for both British and Indian ammunition. here are a few examples.

I suspect you only see the boxes at gunshows in the US because they were the last stocks left in British and Commonwealth stores and was sold as surplus.

Regards and Happy New Year,
TonyE

Some very old stocks of .303 ammunition, Tony is polite enough to say left, I would say abandoned in Indian stores is still surfacing. Good if it ends up on the collectors market. Not so good if it finds its way onto the shooting market because the combination of age and storage conditions have rendered it useless.

I had some K28 vintage (still got one round left if anyone wants it, Falcon or whoever) sold for shooting but so erratic if you fired the rounds in the right order you could play a tune.

During WW II, Indian ammo packaging gave way to 48 round Boxes (Loosepack) and of course bandoleers (Clipped) by the 1970s, when Australia Bought large quantities of “K^F” .303 in both stripless belts ( for the JTC overhead fire course) and 48 round boxes and 10 clip- bandoleers (for the School cadet units ) the “10 round” paper packet had more or less disappeared in India.

As to the “abandoned” ammo, I would say “Burocratically forgotten” is more likely…in a country such as India, which though well schooled by the British in efficient Burocracy, this has degenerated into a morass of petty attitudes, inefficiency and petti-fogging such as the world cannot imagine.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.