.303 Brit "LA CѦ 1917 VII" in a charger

These rounds appear to have 2 types of primers, convex and flat. Why?
Also, Lindsay Arsenal headstamp is not common here. How many years did they make ammo during WWI? Did Lindsay make ammo in WWII? I don’t see it around either.

3 Likes

I believe that at least some of the time variations in primer face flatness is a function of deformation of the primer cup as it was pressed into the primer pocket. There is a good chance these two primers before seating looked more nearly alike than they do now. Jack

1 Like

Very nice rounds Vlad.

1 Like

I have them down as only producing 1914 - 17 with the LAC “C with Arrow” headstamp and DAL from 1917 -21. I have seen one example of the DAL with the “C with arrow” stamped seperate in the headstamp. I am sure there are two different primers as I have examples of both on different WWI .303’s so possibly using up primers supplied by other supplier?

Please could you get me a better picture of the stamp on the charger because it looks very much like a “g”

Richard.

1 Like

I think it is “S III”.

DSCF9373

Yes, the charger is a Mark III, not generally used till 1920s,little used in WWI, along with the Mark II.
Round vs Flat primers:
During WWI, “ringing” was introduced to prevent primer extrusion in MGs, esp. Aircraft guns. It was found that Flat Primers would be crimped better, than rounded ones that hardly had any crimp effect due to geometry.
Doc AV

1 Like

Many thanks, I dont have any info on the “S” stamped chargers unfortunatly.

This info from a Lee Enfield Charger History document I had sent to me

The MkIII charger -

February 15th, 1916 the MKIII did away with the slots and ribs on the base, using staggered holes instead. The sidewalls now had 5 holes, a retrograde move as the spring formed by the end hole on each side had too high a ‘rate’ making it harder to sweep the cartridges out of the charger and into the magazine; just how unsuccessful this new type was can be seen by how quickly it was replaced, on October 20th, 1917 the LoC announced the Mk IV which retained the holes in the base but only had four holes in each sidewall;

thanks again for the photo
Richard.

1 Like