.303 Brit "RѦL 1941 VII" vs "Ѧ 1941 VII" crimp question

The projectile crimp on “Ѧ 1941 VII” is twice as long as “RѦL1941 VII”. Why? Also the shoulder on “RѦL1941 VII” is a bit lower.

Hi Vlad - I’ve checked all of my early Radway Green (used the single broad arrow in 1940 and 1941 before changing the RG) and none of them have a neck crimp like the one you show. All have a standard length 3 crimp as shown on the Royal Laboratory round.

I can only guess that it somehow got fed through twice.

1 Like

The long ones are very nice and uniform, unlikely to be a double hit. Each round has 3 crimps. I am not sure if that small shoulder difference is related to the crimp. These 2 came from a .303 charger with mixed headstamps. The reason I am asking that the crimp is related to the internal pressure needed to dislodge the projectile. Does this mean that the powder loads of these 2 are different?

Another reason for crimps other than internal pressure release point & for these is just to keep the bullet in place during shipping, loading and unloading, and gun recoil.

Have you compared shoulder position of the ‘odd’ one to a ‘standard’ ?

With different bunters used to make the headstamp implies a different lot or machine or even line making these two. One could have slipped through inspection or was perhaps felt to be within tolerance & thus sent to the front.
The flea-O-flea SMLE is a firearm that tolerates a lot of flaws, in regard to safely for the shooter. Even though these were for the RAF tolerance or poor inspection might be the reason.

1 Like

I have several 1940 & 1941 from Radway Green with a mix of 3 long and 3 short crimps, most likley just line/plant set up

Richard.

1 Like

Vlad: Minor differences in shoulder location are of no significance with a rimmed cartridge (as long as the shoulder isn’t TOO high), as the rim thickness is the critical headspace distance to indicate short, normal, or long headspace. Jack

1 Like