.303 Brit - Sudanese made in France

Can anybody identify this headstamp on a .303 Mk 7 ball round. My initial guess is that it’s Egyptian but confirmation or otherwise would be great!
Many thanks, Jim.
P.S. This is my first posting on this new site and my first ever attempt at posting a picture so here goes…

According to Ken Elk’s pamplet “Ammunition with Arabic Markings” it is beleived to be made in France for Morocco.

The headstamp should be oriented so what you have at 8:00 should be at 12:00. But as pictured at 8:00 is SF, at 1:00 is the number 1 (1st quarter) and at 5:00 is the number 86 (year). The character for 6 is not clear but I think it is a 6.

[quote=“Ron Merchant”]According to Ken Elk’s pamplet “Ammunition with Arabic Markings” it is beleived to be made in France for Morocco.

The headstamp should be oriented so what you have at 8:00 should be at 12:00. But as pictured at 8:00 is SF, at 1:00 is the number 1 (1st quarter) and at 5:00 is the number 86 (year). The character for 6 is not clear but I think it is a 6.[/quote]

Hi,
but read it that way, it cannot be 86, as the “arm” from the arabic 6 has to go to the left side, not like in this case to the right side. It maybe a 2…and that comes closer to the time,(1982) SFM made ammo for some arabic countries…it is not confirmed, that this country was Morocco, as this country hasnt used officially .303 Guns in their inventory. Iraq, Jemen, Egypt have used this calibre. But Egypt and Iraq usually have produced their ammo in own factories at that time…

Forensic

Two revisions to what I posted. In an article “Headstamps with Arabic Markings” by Ahmed K Al-Khalifa from the Public Security Lab, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia it is for Sudan. The character at 8:00 is “Alsudania” an arabic acronym for Sudan.

I forgot that Arabic numbers, unlike words, read right to left. the date is (19)68.

[quote=“Ron Merchant”]Two revisions to what I posted. In an article “Headstamps with Arabic Markings” by Ahmed K Al-Khalifa from the Public Security Lab, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia it is for Sudan. The character at 8:00 is “Alsudania” an arabic acronym for Sudan.

I forgot that Arabic numbers, unlike words, read right to left. the date is (19)68.[/quote]

Ron, the Sudan should be correct–they used also .303 and speak partly in arab language; but only text is read from the right to the left…
See figures Nr 60 or 62 as exemple in Ken Elks phamplet for numerals…
This means in the case of 7,62x54 the writing will be 54x7.62 but the orientation of the numerals itself are in consequence 54x7.62 and not reversed in its situation. If you turn the headstamp here in question to the 12.00 position you will see the 7 in front, followed by an arabic 2 (not 6)…

٧٢ , the numeral 6 would be this sign: ٦, so it cannot be 28, nor 68, but 72 should be correct if read from the side of the primer as the "inside"
Here again the arabic numerals:

٠ ١ ٢ ٣ ٤ ٥ ٦ ٧ ٨ ٩
9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0

If read from the “outside”, the second sign after the (you name it 8) would make no sense as a numeral. The only signs which looks like that if read upright, are the 2 or the 6. But they have their arms in different directions.
Greetings
Forensic

Here is the information on the Sudan headstamp

As per the example on the right above, the headstamp is read by turning it clockwise and reading it from the primer side. In that case I read the year as either 72 or 73. the character for the 2 or 3 in the picture is not clear enough to tell which it is.

Thank you Ron and Forensic. Would this round have been manufactured by Sudan or for Sudan?
Jim

This is only a guess, but, based on the style of the headstamp, I would guess that these were made in France for Sudan. I am not aware of any ammunition production facilities in Sudan.